Thread: .460 Rowland COnversion for the 1911.

Feedback Score

.460 Rowland COnversion for the 1911.

All,
    I did a search and nothing lately popped up. I have done some limited research on the .460 and it definitely sounds interesting. Apparently, one can get .44 magnum ballistics in a 1911 with just a drop in conversion. Clark Custom Guns makes one and it sells at $295.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm

Any thoughts or user comments would be appreciated. If I went this route for one of my 1911s, I would probably be reloading my own as $44 for 50 rounds seems just a little steep. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Great now i want one of these as well!
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    I have almost bought one many times but never did. Should be a good hog gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That would be a very interesting conversion kit to play with. I would be just a little worried with accelerated wear on the pistol especially if you ran it on an aluminum frame.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brown3345 View Post
    That would be a very interesting conversion kit to play with. I would be just a little worried with accelerated wear on the pistol especially if you ran it on an aluminum frame.
    They don't recommend that they say right in the flyer NO?
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can only give you my experience with the G21 conversion barrel from LoneWolf.

Initially purchased the barrel without compensator and EVERY round was dinged big time with Buffalo Bore 230gr. With the ding, the rounds are useless for reloading. Notified LoneWolf CS and they had me ship the barrel back. Following their testing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g6QT4Zu6Go phone call back & forth, they replaced my barrel with compensator and changed their web page to indicate: When using a non-compensated barrel, even with a heavy recoil spring, you may experience high enough slide speeds that damage to brass occurs.

The compensator barrel would ding a few rounds, but when re-sized with my Dillion they were good to go. Since I purchased this for hunting, I didn't like the idea of the compensator, therefore put the barrel & compensator up for sale.

As for ammo: Buffalo Bore is good-to-go, BUT the Johnny Defense Against Large & Dangerous Games ammo sucks! The friggin round tumbles and after many un-answered emails to Rowland, I gave up. The rounds suck and Rowland CS sucks! http://shop.460rowland.com/Johnny%27...ngerous%20Game
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 01-19-14 at 08:53.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Interested in one for an M&P 45 for defense while backpacking and outdoor activities. Not much of a revolver guy myself and all my time is spent on semis so it makes sense to me. I'm more interested in magna porting than a comp. I like that like the 458 socom that the rounds can be tailored and down loaded too.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    I haven't played with one on a 1911 or other semi-autos, but I can tell you from personal experience that regular old .45ACP brass will handle .460 Rowland loads in a strong fully supported chamber like those in my Freedom Arms M83's auxiliary .45ACP cylinder. The ballistics are fairly impressive for the size of the case you're working with. Essentially you have the same powder capacity with the Rowland as a .45ACP, so my reloads should be indicative of what a guy could expect. I really liked 185gr XTP's at around 1500fps. Reasonable recoil, and good accuracy. I am sure expansion would be violent and impressive. Plus they shoot pretty flat.

Not as impressed with heavier bullets though, compared to a .44 Magnum the Rowland is not as versatile once you want bullets heavier than 230-255gr. Of course that is what my primary .454 Casull cylinder is for. Overall I like the concept even for a semi auto, where I think it falls short is converting guns not designed to handle those kinds of pressures and slide velocities.

Feedback Score
    I am interested in getting one, but maybe taking the 1911 to a place it wasn't meant to go is not a good idea. I had read a little about the system and it seems sound. Accelerated wear is going to happen any time slide velocities are increased. I am going to keep researching as reloading components (brass, bullet choice) seem to be small in number right now.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Maybe 50 GI is a better option for the 1911?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2