Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: **Update** Question ref barrel and glass set up, how to proceed

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Thanks for suggestions on the Vortex but I guess I had my mind set on Nightforce. Got the scope and got it mounted. I'll take it to the range in a week or so and put some generic 55gr stuff through it. Have to recover from the optic purchase before I get any quality ammo. Thanks for help.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post
    Thanks for suggestions on the Vortex but I guess I had my mind set on Nightforce. Got the scope and got it mounted. I'll take it to the range in a week or so and put some generic 55gr stuff through it. Have to recover from the optic purchase before I get any quality ammo. Thanks for help.

Good call.

Show some pics when you get the chance!

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Figured I'd update my own thread. I couldn't go with the standard chrome-lined barrel with the Nightforce Optic. I can throw out a bunch of loose logic as to why but bottom line is I wanted a top of the line barrel to go with the optic so I sold the Noveske CL barrel and bolt and bought a 18" Noveske SPR barrel with matched bolt from DSG. Here is the new configuration:

13" KMR to save on weight
    Vortex flash hider
    SSA trigger
    Atlas Bipod

I went to the range today to and got a initial zero on the rifle. After getting on paper at 100 yards with federal AE223 I switched to the first batch of match ammo I purchased for the rifle: Israel Military Industries (IMI) 77gr OTM, LR, MOD 1 (basically MK262 clone). This ammo was around $0.75 before shipping and $0.90 after shipping. The first couple of groups with the IMI ammo were not good and in the 3" range. Then it seemed to settle down a bit and I got a couple 3 round groups and one 5 round group:

-The 3 shot group to the right of the center black square is 1/2" center to center.
    -The 3 shot group below the center black square is 7/8" center to center.
    -The 5 shot group to the left of the center black dot is 1.5" with the flyer and 3/4" without.
    -The 2 shot group in the head box is 2" and is the Federal AE223.

I'm pretty psyched about the groups. I know 3 shot groups and not as good as 5 shot groups which aren't as good as 10 shot groups but I feel like I'm off to a good start considering I've never shot with a magnified optic or from a bipod. I definitely have a lot of work to do. I could tell the longer I shot I got a little better and finding the natural point of aim which seemed to play a big role in down range performance.

Thanks for all the tips. I may pop back in here and ask for some help with shooting technique as I'm sure that I don't know what I don't know at this point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12