Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sooo...it looks like I'll be going to Texas!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What exactly are you going to be doing in the oilfield ? I just reread the thread and did not see. If you are college educated, there are other opportunities that will net you more in the long run than driving a truck. The San Angelo area does leave a lot to be desired. I hope you like lots of Mexicans lol. Aside from that some of the food from the hole in the wall places can be good. Just be careful where you go at first.

Texas brisket is something that can only be cooked right in Texas, but all are not equal. If you go thru Wichita Falls on your way down, there is a place called the Branding Iron, which is hands down the best bbq. And do stop at Taco Casa, great cheap food. OH, and Texas Road House for a steak. Albany, Texas has the Bee Hive- best steaks in USA. If staying over night in Ft Worth be sure to go to downtown area....Pink Cadillac, Library etc.

Lots of places to hunt around there, if you get a lease you are almost guaranteed a good kill. Do not forget the yotes and hogs !!!! brings a new level of fun to hunting.

I grew up in Texas, then moved to South Florida which was the best. Now I am in northwest Oklahoma, which leaves a lot to be desired. The only thing to do up here is long range shooting. Social life is almost a standstill, which is why I drive to Dallas/Ft Worth on weekends. Working in the oilfield can be expensive if you spend money every time you stop at the 7-11 etc. take a bag lunch and do not fall into the rut of spending tons of money, its going to dry up one day. I have been in the oilfield since '94 doing wireline only. I currently do cased hole work, which is a good change from openhole logging. I do not ever recommend doing that. Long hours to say the least. Doing pumpdowns is boring at times, but when you do 6 stages a shift the money is good.

Let us know how you are doing and try to meet up with some people in the area from here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a nephew in the same business out there, and he transports lots of salt water from the wells. Gas wells are a big thing in west Texas. You'll see many wind turbines. Check out the state of Texas website for chl and driver's license info. DPS handles chl application. The agency is user friendly but is a stickler for paperwork. I suggest you bring with you a copy of your Tenn chl application to assist in completing the Texas application--even if you have to get a copy from your state. Very likely your employer will prohibit firearms at the work place or in their trucks.

You'll encounter many meth users and others who could not qualify for a chl along with some ex-offenders. Until you learn your area, I suggest not disclosing your gun hobby because doing so might alert others about valuable possessions. And stay out of Mexico.

Welcome to Texas. It's a good place.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    I have a nephew in the same business out there, and he transports lots of salt water from the wells. Gas wells are a big thing in west Texas. You'll see many wind turbines. Check out the state of Texas website for chl and driver's license info. DPS handles chl application. The agency is user friendly but is a stickler for paperwork. I suggest you bring with you a copy of your Tenn chl application to assist in completing the Texas application--even if you have to get a copy from your state. Very likely your employer will prohibit firearms at the work place or in their trucks.

You'll encounter many meth users and others who could not qualify for a chl along with some ex-offenders. Until you learn your area, I suggest not disclosing your gun hobby because doing so might alert others about valuable possessions. And stay out of Mexico.

Welcome to Texas. It's a good place.
    Who does your nephew work for and where??? I haven't seen a gas well drilled in nearly 6 years, all oil wells. Just curious if somebody is hedging that gas prices are gonna come back sometime soon.

And Mauser I just went through ordeal at the DPS office in Angelo with my daughter getting her learners permit. Plan on spending a minimum of 3 hours..Wait time to even get to the counter is 1-2 hours now, and doesn't matter what time of day. I sat next to a guy who was there updating his address on his CDL and he hd been there four 4 hours. Just a heads up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Living in California H3LL, I'm a bit envious. Sounds like you have a good reason to move, but watch out for all the liberal Comiefornians moving to Texas they will F it up.

Single guy, 80K in Texas, you're set. Yes, buy land. Good move and good luck!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Barnhart is a small town. I grew up west of there, and lived in San Angelo for a few years. You might think about living there, I used to have a nice house very inexpensively.

Seriously, I would do what you are planning on. Pay off your debts while you can and save cash. Live cheap for a year or so and you will be in terrific shape for the future. You just never know how long a boom is going to last.

Something neat to consider - they hold pistol and carbine classes in nearby Brady a couple of times a year.

Reach out to silverbullet432(?) - I think he owns a trucking company near there.

And welcome to Texas. We love to have hard-working gun owners who love the Constitution join us. That's what Tennesseans with rifles are for, correct?

Hey! hadn't even seen that he made a thread! Yes, I do own a truck, but just one, not a huge operation. It does well though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    You are dead right about that one!

OP, there is actually a town in west Texas called "Notrees". You can guess why.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notrees,_Texas
    and, im actually much closer to notrees (same county) than barnhart. Quite alot of work down in that area right now! i have an uncle with belly dump trucks who is staying rather busy building location pads right now near big lake.
    Last edited by SilverBullet432; 03-05-14 at 23:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Whoops. Wrong thread, my apologies.

Feedback Score
    Welcome to texas man!

Feedback Score
    If you value freedom and capitalism...you WILL probably end up here eventually.

-brickboy240

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345