Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sooo...it looks like I'll be going to Texas!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sooo...it looks like I'll be going to Texas!

Been applying for work in the booming oil and gas industry and was pretty dead set on going North to the Dakotas. Well, Tuesday I get my full monte of Hazmat, Tankers, doubles and triples endorsement, Wednesday I apply yo two companies, yesterday I get a phone call that seems to really suggest I am hired. But...it as the HR guy told me, "we don't need you in North Dakota, but we could really use you in West Texas!" Oh, and it appears I didn't need that Hazmat, tanks, and long ass trailer train endorsements, either.

Pay was qouted around low $80,000, and for me a single white guy, that is pretty good, considering I have never made more than $30,000. I have student loans to pay off, some credit cards and a Jeep, which if all goes well...I should be debt free by the end of the year. More money than i would make being a teacher here in TN, or a Ph.D at a university if I wanted four more years in academia hell.

Area is looking to be Barnhart, TX.

Good news is, I am a Tennessean that truly understands Texas history and heritage (if it wasn't for us Tennesseans, there wouldn't be a Texas!).

However...what should I expect. Planning to actually move and take up residence, maybe counter the flow of Californians into Texas. How is the air for asthmatics? Any good home builders that won't charge me an arm or a leg? Wanting to get a good spread of land (recovering suburbanite).
    Last edited by Mauser KAR98K; 01-24-14 at 13:13.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Barnhart is a small town. I grew up west of there, and lived in San Angelo for a few years. You might think about living there, I used to have a nice house very inexpensively.

Seriously, I would do what you are planning on. Pay off your debts while you can and save cash. Live cheap for a year or so and you will be in terrific shape for the future. You just never know how long a boom is going to last.

Something neat to consider - they hold pistol and carbine classes in nearby Brady a couple of times a year.

Reach out to silverbullet432(?) - I think he owns a trucking company near there.

And welcome to Texas. We love to have hard-working gun owners who love the Constitution join us. That's what Tennesseans with rifles are for, correct?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They can go to hell, you're going to Texas.

Welcome! Next thing you know you'll be planning trips to Gruene and buying proper boots...TX has a way of getting into your soul.

Feedback Score
    Good luck!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Congratulations on you new job, and welcome to Texas!! West Texas is not exactly the most exciting region in Texas, but fewer attractions may help you save.

In all seriousness, West Texas is crazy busy right now and the roads can be extremely dangerous due to the volume of traffic on rural roads. Be careful out there.

FYI, Brady is the "Heart of Texas".

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Considering where I live in TN (rural area, but I get to hunt off of bluffs), West Texas might actually be more exciting.

I was cruising property values yesterday and couldn't believe a lot of the low prices, except the million dollar land of oil. My plan, desire actually, is a big spread. Since moving from suburban Florida to rural Tennessee has made me really enjoy the elbow room, and the ability test my reloads at home and not drive 30 miles to do so.

Yeah, I am going to have to get used to actually boots, not the combat boots I normally wear.

What type of critters do I need to worry about? Fire ants?

How is the cost of living around San Angelo? Hear they have a college.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Yup, fire ants are a real issue in Texas. Work with your neighbors to put down ant killer every spring, and it helps a lot. Other critters to watch out for are rattlesnakes, scorpions and liberal politicians.

Angelo State University is the local 4-year college, it's a decent school for it's size. They also have a pretty fair hospital there.

I lived there more than 25 years ago, so I honestly don't have a good knowledge of current real estate prices. But I did like the town and the people. I'd move back to West Texas in a heartbeat for the people, but I just could not survive the pay cut.

If you are a veteran, check out the Texas Veterans Land Board. It's one of the best programs in our state.

http://www.glo.texas.gov/vlb/

We also have a lot of great education programs just for veterans as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Congrats on the job, and welcome to Texas!

By Texas standards, Barnhart is fairly close to Big Bend, Guadalupe Mountains and Carlsbad Carverns National Parks, and to Davis Mountains State Park. I try to hike in at least one of them each year. All are worth visiting.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Awesome!! I'm envious, in a good way.

I'm sucking up CT while I have to, but very excited to move to a warmer friendlier climate. Oh yeah and some place where my Liberty isn't trampled on by some scumbag politicians! Your story helps keep my plan afloat.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    Congrats on the job, and welcome to Texas!

By Texas standards, Barnhart is fairly close to Big Bend, Guadalupe Mountains and Carlsbad Carverns National Parks, and to Davis Mountains State Park. I try to hike in at least one of them each year. All are worth visiting.
    Much agree. I grew up just north of Big Bend National Park, and enjoyed the Davis Mountains State Park. My dad was on the Civilian Conservation Corps crew that helped build that place during the Great Depression. Some of the furniture he made is still in use. If you live in Texas, those are all places you need to go see.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast