Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sooo...it looks like I'll be going to Texas!

Feedback Score
    Welcome to Texas and the Oil Patch...I live and work in the area around Barnhart..actually I drive through Barnhart just about everyday. You best bet on finding an affordable place to live with a reasonable drive to Barnhart is going to be San Angelo. Big Lake is just 18 miles West of Barnhart but there are people paying the same a month to rent a cabin or RV spot there for what my mortgage is.

Angelo State is a good school and is now part of the Texas Tech system so its getting bigger and better all the time. There are two hospitals in San Angelo, Community and Shannon...

As far as the country side goes, well if you have never been here before, go ahead and say good by to trees and seasons as you know them now. We woke up at 23 degrees yesterday morning here in Eldorado with a 20% chance of snow..today is in mid 60's and we will hit mid 70's tomorrow..back in the 30's on Monday.

Wildlife in there area is as mentioned..also will see Whitetail deer, coyotes, Rio Grande turkeys, bobcats, grey and red fox, occasional mountain lion and last couple of years have been reports of the occasional black bear this far north. White Wing and Morning Dove, Bobwhite Qual and if your work will take you onto the Rocker B ranch (where I spend most of my time) you will also see some Pronghorn Antelope and I saw some Blue Quail up there the other day.

Shoot me a PM and I'll answer any questions you have..I have lived and worked in this area for most of my life...

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    And you are also getting close to some pretty nice mule deer country, too. Do they still have those nice desert mulies over by Sonora and Ozona?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Big Bend is the least traveled National Park, but not because it's not amazing...it's just out of the way. One of my favorite places to go.

So every time I come to this thread, I start hearing Pat Green singing..."because I'll be out with the boys on a west Texas holiday...."
    http://youtu.be/0wfq6x8xNw8

Fire ants are the worst. You'll get complacent regardless of how much you intend to not be caught standing in their hill in flip flops...and I promise you that it will happen anyway. Fun.

Scorpions can ruin your day for sure...but they're not likely to kill you or cause permanent damage shy of a severe allergic reaction.

We killed a 10ft.+ rattlesnake a couple of years ago on my buddy's ranch...had his skin and rattle mounted. I'll get a picture the next time I'm up there. They're not a huge concern for us(if you pay attention,) but if you have dogs you need to be very careful particularly if you hunt with them. All of the vets in that part of the state will have anti venom on hand...but time is of the essence when dealing with a bite. You can have them "de-snaked" which involves a defanged rattlesnake biting them. You might think, "my dog is smart enough to stay back" but he is not. I also highly recommend http://www.redrockbiologics.com/ratt...e_for_dogs.php It's not a true vaccine, they still need the anti venom, but it will increase the amount of time you have to get to the vet which can be the difference between a crippled/dead dog and a dog that just had a bad very day.

And yes, you're getting close to the mule deer. I have two stamps that routinely go unfilled...so if you find a place and need help I'm your man...and will get you on redfish in the flats and grass to make it even.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 01-26-14 at 02:39.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If you are partial to running and shooting, the Pecos Run n Gun is something you should consider. 2014 will be the 13th annual and is by far the most fun event I have ever participated in. http://pecosrunandgun.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc556 View Post
    If you are partial to running and shooting, the Pecos Run n Gun is something you should consider. 2014 will be the 13th annual and is by far the most fun event I have ever participated in. http://pecosrunandgun.com
    Let me loose about 60 pounds first.

How is the deer hunting?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser KAR98K View Post

How is the deer hunting?
    Expensive! Unless you know someone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And you are also getting close to some pretty nice mule deer country, too. Do they still have those nice desert mulies over by Sonora and Ozona?
    You see the odd doe from time to time...have to be west of the Pecos to hunt them though. Last buck I saw east of the Pecos was down just north of Pandale last winter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How is the deer hunting?
    In west texas during the summer you will lose weight no problem,working in the patch you will meets somebody with land that will let you shoot a deer if you hang out and drink a couple of beers with them..lol Welcome to Texas, the rest of its green..lol

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm really excited in heading over "yonder." Listened to Hannity the other day and he did a big segment with the Texas Lt. Gov, and I think I am taking the right opportunity.

It's gonna take me a year to get situated.

I did realize, though, that not only will I be fighting liberals for my 2A rights, but now my frackin' job. May they chock on Richards.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I'm really excited in heading over "yonder." Listened to Hannity the other day and he did a big segment with the Texas Lt. Gov, and I think I am taking the right opportunity.

It's gonna take me a year to get situated.

I did realize, though, that not only will I be fighting liberals for my 2A rights, but now my frackin' job. May they chock on Richards.
    Interesting that Hannity was chatting with Dewhurst, he's in the primary fight of his life right now. Cruz beat him for the US Senate seat, and I have a strong hunch that Patterson with win the GOP primary this fall.

Patterson is currently our Land Commissioner, and wrote the bill that became our CHL law. And Greg Abbott will be the next Governor.

So if you like the Second Amendment, Texas is going to be good for the next 4 years at least.

Our version of BBQ (dead smoked cows) will probably be a change for you, however. But most folks like it. Pulled pork is gaining a lot of traction these days. So you can find it if you look around.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast