Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Israeli IMI AK 47 Magazines

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    The polymer. I have no doubt that MP already makes better poly. Evidently MP also didn't "field their problem".
    I don't think it's possible to improve the type of polymer currently used in ((10)) mags.

Can you point to a specific shortcoming... like they don't hold up to deet or something?

I'm pretty sure they do, actually.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    how can you possibly improve on the ((10))?
    Make them available?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    I don't think it's possible to improve the type of polymer currently used in ((10)) mags.
    This. Magpul fanbois will gnash their teeth until the end of time, but I'm confident that anything that would break a ((10)) will break a Magpul magazine.

Feedback Score
    Not a scientific test but there are youtube videos of some guy testing strengths and weaknesses of steel, circle 10's, and US Palm AK47 mags. The Bulgy's had weaker polymer compared to the US palms its probably because its old polymer tech and they haven't changed the makeup. Part of me thinks why people hold circle 10's in such high regard is because they are stupid expensive compared to steel. Magpul's polymer will most definitely be literally years ahead of anything else made coming from Bulgaria. I wish they would announce they had 5.45 and 5.56 mags in the works also.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhena81 View Post
    The Bulgy's had weaker polymer compared to the US palms its probably because its old polymer tech and they haven't changed the makeup.
    I would be very interested to see that test.

The US Palms were not great quality, and fail at a much higher rate in ways that a ((10)) mag can not.

Part of me thinks why people hold circle 10's in such high regard is because they are stupid expensive compared to steel.
    Last I checked they were $8 a piece from Chief Thunder, and that's what I paid...
    (The last time I checked )

Magpul's polymer will most definitely be literally years ahead of anything else made coming from Bulgaria.
    But will it be better in any appreciable way?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last I checked they were $8 a piece from Chief Thunder, and that's what I paid...
    (The last time I checked )
    Man I remember those days. Prior to Chief Thunder only Kvar was importing the Bulgy waffle mags and from I remember when they introduced them they wanted $50 a pop...
    Then Chief Thunder came along and started importing them and selling them for $8 bucks.
    Now that K-var is exclusive with Arsenal Bulgaria, anything that comes out of the factory goes through them (reason for the expensive Bulgy mags)

Back on topic, the Bulgy mags have been tested and proven for about 20 years of use. Will the Magpul mag be better? Time will tell I guess. One benefit to the US made mags would be the whole 922r compliance issue.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Circle 10's have not been available for reasonable prices for years. I've followed them here in EE and saw someone selling them for $25 before the panic, but with flatbacks going for $10 I passed.

I don't doubt they are very adequate and of course lightweight - so they ARE the best for serious use and in most conditions currently. But, the cost is not worth the expense right now. ($45+). [Of course, they are NOT as proven as EE steel mags].

I'd have to have too many beers to think that MP does not currently make better polymer than a manufacturer in Bulgaria. This WILL make a difference. Strength of the mag body, and lips, even if reinforced is still important. So, I do think it is reasonable to believe that they WILL be better. And they won't cost me $40. Of course they actually have to produce and market them.

MP has its issues. Talking about products for several months (a year?) before anyone sees it is not a good move, and this is not the first product like that. I think Ruger used to do it until they got a very competent VP of marketing.

Even now, they aren't selling them, just reports that "they are shipping!" Yipee.
    Last edited by m4brian; 01-28-14 at 17:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd have to have too many beers to think that MP does not currently make better polymer than a manufacturer in Bulgaria.
    OK... we get it, you are incredibly hype for MagPul products. Message received.

What if Arsenal actually does make a better AK mag, polymer and all?

Circle 10's have not been available for reasonable prices for years.
    Read and understand post #16.

The reason ((10)) mags are expensive is a four letter word.

This WILL make a difference. Strength of the mag body, and lips, even if reinforced is still important.
    It's an opinion shared by many smart people that Magpul is making a big mistake by trying to generate interest in the hobby/ range mag and then later introducing the professional grade mag.

I understand that they are trying to refine their design with the cheaper mags and lower consumer expectation, but the AK consumer is not like the AR consumer.

Feedback Score
    The Magpul mags will be really great at one thing, that's for sure. And that is 922r compliance.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not 'hype' for MP at all. Announcing products too far out and failing to deliver is not bright.

I am 'hype' about someone putting out a mag that caves in a monopoly. Yup, 50,000 frenchmen can be wrong.

I understand that they are trying to refine their design with the cheaper mags and lower consumer expectation, but the AK consumer is not like the AR consumer.
    What in blazes does this mean? There is PLENTY of 'hobby interest' in both camps, and plenty of market for range mags - especially if they prove rugged, then you come out with one with more serious use in mind.

I really don't think MP reinforced mags are going to come in at $40/pop. If they lower the price of the Circle 10s will you weep?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12