Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 fired, on safe, while bolt being closed

Feedback Score

Remington 700 fired, on safe, while bolt being closed

I remember hearing stories and seeing a show on TV about Remington 700's firing while on safe.

I thought it was total bullshit until it just happened to me.

I had 5 rounds in the internal magazine (Black Hills 175gr.).The gun was on safe. The gun is an unmodified Remington 700 in 7.62x51 (1 in 12 twist 22" barrel) unadjusted, unmodified, stock trigger.

I was feeding a round into the chamber, when I got to about 25% of closing the bolt and the gun fired. I fortunately was not right behind the gun when this happened. The bolt was ejected and it about broke my thumb. The bolt hit the karsten check piece and flew upward. I would think that had I been behind the gun I might be writing this from the hospital.

scared the shit out of me.

I am looking at calling Remington with a world class WTF, I remember someone at SOTIC saying they had witnessed this as well. (I thought BS) I have probably 25-30k rounds behind a rem 700. This is the weirdest damn thing.

So I am looking to compile information about this and to warn others. Has anyone else dealt with anything remotely similar?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When is the last time you had your bolt apart?

That would certainly piss me off....and probably piss my pants.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dang, glad you are safe.

Don't know if you ever read: http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936 Based on some of the stories, count yourself LUCKY.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Glad you are unhurt. I have always thought this happened to folks who bubba "tuned" their own triggers. Scary to see it on an unmodified unit. Do you know the age/manufacture date of the rifle? Assuming it is the old style trigger and not an X Mark?
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    Wow Fox damn scary, I hope everyone is OK

Feedback Score
    TommyG- I have been doing some research I have found a multitude of events where unmodified guns have gone off under the same circumstances. I have left the gun untouched since the event. I took some pictures but that is it, so I have not been able to determine if has a new X mark trigger or not.

Chad- Thanks man, and read that review you posted, glad to help.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Remington 700 fired, on safe, while bolt being closed

Oh come now, you know you must have had your finger on the trigger.

Based on the stories I have read you are extremely lucky someone wasn't inadvertently shot. Count your blessings it only ended with a sore thumb.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2006 they started putting x-mark triggers in I believe.

Does your rifle have the bolt lock? This also has been part of the issue too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This thread is definitely worth watching. Let us know what you learn about the cause of the malfunction.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    This thread is definitely worth watching. Let us know what you learn about the cause of the malfunction.
    Agreed. I was planning a Remington 700 tactical 308 for my next purchase.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast