Thread: Ammo Can Stove

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Ammo Can Stove

http://www.ammocanstove.com/stoves--gear.html

This Bad Boy beats out my Kifaru Para & Small Stove, 1950 Yukon, Volcano, Solo Stove etc. & those are some of the best ever.

Very well thought out piece of kit. For cooking works great like any steel firebox, the radiant heat it generates is enough for a small house say 1,000 Sq.Ft. Any Oraganic / Bio-mass will work.
    I recommend the Baffle / Heat Shield for extended durability. You will need it especially after the stores or supply chains run out of iso butane, propane, diesel, white gas et al etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Awesome. I'm going to order one!

Feedback Score
    Very clever idea. Thanks for posting the link.

Quote Originally Posted by JustG45 View Post
    Awesome. I'm going to order one!
    If you do, please let us know how you like it.
    "In the world we live in, freedom once lost is lost to stay lost. We had better remember that, in dealing with our internal even more than with our external problems." But We Were Born Free by Elmer Davis. 1952

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Those look pretty awesome. The ingenuity is amazing. Make you think, "Why didn't I think of that".

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    these are heating/not cooking? cool...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    how does this compare to the calibarrett bio stove?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=be05ysfznxQ

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I just saw the Calibarret stove & it looks not too bad actually. I think for a turn key lost cost stove it's pretty nifty actually. For certain people's applications it should work pretty good. Just the smaller tube size 4" means more stoking to keep the heat up etc.
    A couple of thoughts.

It needs ventilation for the inside so you have to use outside or plumb you own smoke vent for inside use. If you want to use in tent or structure i.e. home you will have to create venting.

It has a smaller opening so your going to stoke it more often w/ fuel. it looks like it might radiate heat OK but that was not discussed.
    It's somewhat bulky IF you had or wanted to go mobile w/ it. But for Static DIP or vehicle it would work good.
    http://calibarrett.com/shop.html
    Price point was pretty good @ $139.00

I finally got a working prototype of a Stove / Firebox I designed. I call it the "Spartan Syssitia" for now. I have not painted it yet & probably will use a high temp BBQ / Engine type enamel or similar. Surprisingly have some retailers are interested in it. Not going to say who yet but it's in the hopper moving forward.
    I used 12 gauge steel as the Ammo Can's thickness was just too thin for daily use & would burn through in not to long. I found out that the Norweigian Army had ordered these but there were delivery problems & daily use also proved to be too rigorous for the stove capabilities. Again the Ammo Can's lack of thicker steel was the issue. The Ammo can stove does't radiate heat as good as a thicker gauge steel will. Something to consider if utilities are non-existent. My stove's front door opens all the way for maximum fuel or cleaning access. Mine folds flat so it can be put in pack, vehicle etc. Weight is biggest problem. Using 12 gauge steel at the size I made it weighs 18 lbs. That said it can be used daily & the grate can be replaced it it burns through from daily use fairly inexpensively. I thought about using Ti but titanium is 1) expensive & a poor heat conductor for radiant heat. I plan on using mine for heating my room in structure or tent / shelter, vehicle or in field etc. I was able to boil water in five (5) minutes using wood & starting w/ vaseline & cotton or char cloth as fodder from a Nano stryker fire rod or fire piston I prefer to use @ about 5,200 ft elevation.

Here's some pics of the "Spartan Syssitia" & good luck on your quests towards preparedness...

Here's the first Gen. Spartan Syssitia that was made. It was 10 gauge steel which while it held heat real nice was just too heavy at 22 lbs.

It packs flat for carrying ease in a Pack, Horse, Motorcyle, Snowmobile, Plane, Help etc. The way I designed it the stove folds down flat & pieces fit so they cannot be lost etc.

First Gen. stove was a bit cruder. 10 gauge steel was too heavy & not necessary. Hinges just tack welded, fuel stoking door was to small & I redesigned for better access w/ adjustable air flow draw door. Heat retention & radiation was excellent but weight was just not worth the compromise.

The basic stove w/o the smoke diverter & vent door that allows the draw for crossflow. It just simply slides up or down to regulate air draw etc..Hinges are steel & TIG welded for durability etc.

This pic shows how it opens up for accessibility for stoking or cleaning. Grate is Stainless steel

Shows vaseline cotton w/ some small tinder etc. easy to reach in w/ spark / fire rod / lighter / match etc. grate is SS & prevent bottom from burning through.

Detail of cross flow air draw door w/ slots all cut by plasma cutter etc. Door simply slides up or down to regulate air draw volume. Redesigning front door chain mechanism etc. Not happy w/ it 100% yet.

After fire got going real simple to stoke through front door access

Had water boiling for coffee / Tea in 5 mins @ 5,200 ft

Meets all 3 requisites for a product to be viable:
    1) is there a need
    2) does to work
    3) can it be replicated

Pros:
    1) Folds flat, easy to pack or store away.
    2) Bio Mass fuel abundant & inexpensive
    3) Can be used indoors / tent w/ smoke stack w/ spark arrester
    3) Radiates heat fairly well to maintain comfortable temp inside / outside as heater
    4) Operates on KISS principle
    5) Inexpensive & can be mass produced

Cons:
    1) Heavier than I would like it to be.

I have Jet Boil, MSR whisperlite, Primus OmniFuel that burns I think like 6 fuels (gasoline, alcohol, propane, Iso-butane, diesel, white gas) Coleman Camp stove & mini stove, MSR Micro Rocket, MSR Reactor, BBQ etc. already. This one's a no brainer....

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thats pretty ingenious. Thanks for posting. Hope things workout on the business end.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey View Post
    Thats pretty ingenious. Thanks for posting. Hope things workout on the business end.
    Thx.
    Who knows didn't design it for retail purposes. I felt other products were lacking & designed it for what I perceived were real needs or deficiencies.. Saw & used many other's like US Military Yukon 1950 stove, Solo Stove, Bio-Lite, Kifaru Para Stove, Riley stoves, Ammo Can, Coleman, MSR etc. Felt they had problems w/ long term use vs. radiant heat vs size for packing etc. The problem w/ MSR / Primus etc al is excellent products all of them, but it's the fuel issue for day to day use...

The smaller Stoves are compact & work great if your Solo in camping or climbing conditions BUT really do little for heat or a base Camp type setting. I spent a lot of time always stoking the fire w/ fuel & foraging for it. Just to heat a meal w/ the smaller ones forget about radiant heat & adding some warmth.
    I'm not concerned w/ producing it & already know other's will knock off w/ it's features China / Korea etc. BUT I know it works & lasts for long term use & I stay warm & have warm food.

Conceptually they all work, pragmatically they suck. Just my .02.

BTW as a side note, I use rule of 3's & American Indian survival order when in the bush....