Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why learn to shoot on the move?

Feedback Score

Why learn to shoot on the move?

This has been bugging me for quite a while. I know some highly respected instructors (Paul Howe for one) do not spend a lot of time on this skill while other equally respected instructors do. Mr. Howes logic seems good to me.

My biggest questions are:

- Is it needed or not?

- What is the application?

Hope someone here will fill in the blanks for me.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When people start shooting at each other, people start moving. Staying in one spot isn't exactly the wisest course of action.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    When people start shooting at each other, people start moving. Staying in one spot isn't exactly the wisest course of action.

Amen. I think standing still and exchanging gunfire went out in the 19th century. If it ever happens, you'll be looking for cover and you want to be able to engage targets on the way.
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Because life is dynamic. We cant always be at a position of cover when we need to take a shot so we need to learn how to shoot on the move so that we can engage the threat while we move to cover. Also, if we are moving (if no cover is available) we are a harder target to hit and we need to be immediately putting rounds on the threat.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    The most uncomfortable place to be is at the end of a gun that is firing at you and keeps getting closer. Especially when it is attached to a mean person with lots of sharp bits sticking out of him.

The necessity of shooting on the move is linked to CQB. Room entries, hallway movement, dominating an enclosure, all require fluid movement, and does not stop just because you are inconvienced by a nasty person trying to kill you.

As a defensive measure, it is usually a good idea to "get off the X" whenever you can. It may not always involve shooting, but movement should not preclude effective shooting.

Lateral and angular movement can also help avoid non-consentual penetration.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Watch videos of OIS, criminal shootings, and combat. Everyone is moving and most are missing.

Feedback Score
    Okay lots of view points so what about shooting on the move vs moving then shooting and let's take it out of tac-team operations?

Yes you are a harder target when moving but won't you have to slow down to shoot with any accuracy? Doesn't that make you an easier target vs moving our rapidly to another position of cover?

Feedback Score
    Strong arguments can be made for both shooting while moving and for moving then stopping to shoot before you move again.

No one can assert that it's a good idea to stand still if you have a choice.

The key with shooting while moving is whether or not you can do it with adequate accuracy (depending the needs of the situation) while moving fast enough to make a difference.

Some believe correctly that if you have to move too slowly to get combat effective hits, then it almost defeats the purpose. In those cases, it may be better to haul a** as fast as you can, then stop to shoot, then move again. One key to go along with that is developing the necessary skills to shoot immediately and accurately when you come close enough to stopping. This is something where shooting in competition like USPSA will pay off big time, and it's not something that is typically addressed in defense-oriented classes.

The difficulty of the shot depending on range, what is exposed, angles, etc. plays a huge role. Can you get the hits you need while moving fast enough to reduce your chances of getting hit? If so, then shooting while moving is logically the best choice. The thing is, most people can't do so except at relatively close ranges. Many who think they can are wrong, which is obvious to an observer. Some can shoot while moving very rapidly with a skill level that must be seen to be believed. Some can do it well while moving in certain directions, but not others.

For most people, I've come to the conclusion (by observing many years of competitions shooters and people in defense-oriented classes since 2002) that moving at the first sign of trouble while you bring your weapon to bear, then stopping just long enough to get some good hits, then moving again is probably the best way to go at any distance beyond a few yards. Some people are different though. In my case, I don't move any faster when I am not shooting than I can when I am shooting, so it makes sense for me to shoot while moving when the distance is within my comfort range.

Given all that, it makes sense to learn to shoot while moving to the best of your physical ability, then know for certain what your comfort zone (in terms of distance and difficulty of target) is. Make the decision what you should do based on that before you need to do it for real.

Feedback Score

Moving

I respect Paul and what he teaches.

However:

Standing still = easier to get shot/hit/stabbed/etc

I'd rather move than stand still.

You could move to cover and shoot from it, but often, cover is not available.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    You need to learn this. Shooting and moving is extremely difficult and FUNDAMENTAL.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast