Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7.62X39 AR???

Feedback Score

7.62X39 AR???

I'm an avid hunter, and shooter. I own quite a few bolt actions and a few Browning Bars, but I'm new to the AR world. I just bought my first AR about a month ago and love it! Now I have the bug! I was thinking of getting an AR in 7.62X39. How many of you have one, and have you had any issues? This AR will primarily be used for plinking, and deer hunting. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you are really itching for an AR in something other than 5.56/.223, get a .300 BLK.
    That way you won't have to deal with finnicky mags (due to straight mag well and a heavily tapered cartridge) and bolts with a short life span (less material on bolt as the 7.62x39 has a wider base).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    If you are really itching for an AR in something other than 5.56/.223, get a .300 BLK.
    That way you won't have to deal with finnicky mags (due to straight mag well and a heavily tapered cartridge) and bolts with a short life span (less material on bolt as the 7.62x39 has a wider base).
    From what I've read .300 blk was designed specifically to be surpressed. I wonder how it'd be for a hunting round, and what will ammo availability be 5-10 years from now.

Feedback Score
    Or get a sexy remington 700 in 300 aac blk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bello View Post
    Or get a sexy remington 700 in 300 aac blk
    I'm sure I'll be barred now, but I'm not a huge remington fan. I'd rather have a browning any day! Not saying that they don't have quality firearms, but I'm a browning man all the way!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcj1980 View Post
    From what I've read .300 blk was designed specifically to be surpressed. I wonder how it'd be for a hunting round, and what will ammo availability be 5-10 years from now.
    Personally, I would go 300BLK over 7.62x39 because of the interchangeability with 5.56/223. Literally, the ONLY difference is the barrel. Bolt, mags, etc. are all the same. It uses standard .30 cal bullets. The only drawback is ammo prices. ~$1 a shot for plinking ammo. I reload, so I don't have to worry about that. I can load match ammo ~$.40/rd and plinking ammo ~$.25/rd. If you happen to get into this cartridge, I would highly advise getting into reloading if you're not already.

300BLK is not solely for suppressed use. I have one and don't see myself getting a suppressor any time soon. IMO, 300BLK is the perfect hunting round. I mainly use mine for hog hunting, but I do plan to use it for deer in the future once I figure out a nice shooting load.

Read up the 300BLK and you will be amazed how versatile this cartridge is.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Doing a 7.62x39 upper build/assemble right now myself. Do not have the time to reload (I do know how) and also have an AK, so ammo is already stockpiled. Proper mags and a bolt that can take abuse is an absolute for this creature, so I've been told by people who have successfully got ones running. Thought about 300BLK, they have been saying ammo is going to be affordable ever since it came out, it still isn't (and I wasn't real impressed with accuracy, do net searches https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...e-up-on-300blk ). With proper research and components a 762 range/hunting gun is possible. I do plan on getting a 300 down the road, because it is a cool little round with some POP, just not right now. If have time and/or $ then maybe 300BLK is for you, that's up to you to decide.
    Check out Cason Engineering http://shop.casoneng.com/index.php?r...&product_id=58 from site-- •Patent Pending, optimized design for improved life expectancy
    •Other manufactures take a .223 bolt and a .223 extractor and just machine away extra material to make room for the 7.62x39 cartridge, often leaving weak spots in the bolt and extractor geometry where failures can initiate
    •We have re-engineered the bolt and the extractor geometry to add material where it’s needed, and trim it where it’s not
    •You get an enhanced, optimized bolt and extractor that will outlast any competitor’s bolt/extractor
    •Due to the redesigned geometries, our 7.62x39 bolt must be used with our 7.62x39 Extractor – they are designed to work together
    •CNC machined from an ultra tough, aerospace grade stainless steel for improved life
    •Dense chrome finish, Rockwell C hardness > 70, enhanced lubricity

7.62x39 AR isn't an easy one, but not an impossible one either. Again, up to you to decide. I got hooked when tried to choke out a buddies x39, it didn't and was I hooked (plus as mentioned, have a$$ load of ammo already). So I decided it might be for me. Maybe not the popular choice, but mine.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 01-27-14 at 20:55.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have yet to see a well executed 7.62x39 in the standard AR platform.
    To go to 7.62x39, you really need to make significant alterations to several key parts.
    I would recommend one of 3 options:
    1: Get some good 5.56 ammo. There are many solid choices for duty and hunting.
    2: Go with .300 Blk. It is irrelevant if it was the foundation of a suppressed platform/concept, it does nicely at supersonic velocities and there are good options that preform well at the lower velocities.
    3; Go with a .308/7.62x51. While this used to primarily be the playing ground of those with significant funds, there is now a plethora of offerings, and the effectiveness of .308 is without dispute.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I know of an Armalite M15 7.62x39 that runs. Mid-length gas system, 16 inch barrel. They run under $1000 right now if you can find one.

-Use ASC or Cproducts Defense magazines, they normally work fine, only load 28 rounds in them.
    -to fire Russian ammo get a longer firing pin from Model 1 Sales or other maker of this pin, or modify a standard 5.56 firing pin, it isn't hard.
    -to fire Russian ammo get a Wolff extra power Ar15 hammer spring.
    -Same rules for using steel case ammo in 5.56 Ar's apply in 7.62x39 Ar's. (i.e. Clean the chamber at least every 500 rounds, don't fire steel after brass, don't let a steel-cased round sit in a hot chamber)
    -Like 5.56 AR's, JHP's and JSP's don't feed as well as FMJ and ballistic-tip ammo.

Now if you plan to use USmade brass-cased ammo and don't care about mag capacity your in luck. You won't need the firing pin or hammer mods! Just buy the rifle (or upper) and you can use regular 5.56 mags, too! (they usually will feed 4-6 rounds)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcj1980 View Post
    I'm an avid hunter, and shooter. I own quite a few bolt actions and a few Browning Bars, but I'm new to the AR world. I just bought my first AR about a month ago and love it! Now I have the bug! I was thinking of getting an AR in 7.62X39. How many of you have one, and have you had any issues? This AR will primarily be used for plinking, and deer hunting. Any advice will be much appreciated.
    I was in this same predicament. I went with the 300 blk. I'm a reloader and already had tons of 308 bullets. I have a friend that has done lots of hunting with one and has had excellent results with Barnes 110 TTSX for hogs/deer and Nosler BT 125's for deer. Hornady 110 A-max shoot under M.O.A. I've only got about 100 rounds thru mine so far and love it. I chose the 300 blk due to the bolt and mag issues, listed above, that seem to plague the AK ammo. Good luck with your decision.
    Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast