Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 7.62X39 AR???

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    bumping this thread because i recently sheered the extractor off my windham 7.62x39. i plan to call windham shortly to see if they'd be willing to provide me with a replacement extractor. the worrisome part, however, is that i only have 1300 rds through it. anyone out there with expertise on 7.62x39 extractors? any tricks to improve their survival such as running a heavier buffer? part of my concern is that with it failing so early, the bolt may benefit from some slight delay prior to pulling back on the steel case?

i'm not looking to be reprimanded for running an AR in 7.62x39. it has major quirks no question about that. i also run 300 blk and 5.56. each are wonderful. the value of the 7.62x39 (at least IMO) is cheap, hits hard and just fun at the range. it's not a serious or defensive setup, just a fun one.

expertise on the extractor issue much appreciated!!
    It helps if the rifle isn't over-gassed or is a mid gas system. Try here for a stronger extractor- http://www.shop.ar15hardware.com/pro...?productId=465

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Steel case ammo? Running the 9mm heavy buffer w/ JP Ent adj gas block and w/ similar round count as you (all steel case Golden Tiger or Brown Bear ammo) - all is well ... so far! Performance and reliability is flawless IF it likes the mag that feeds it.
    Last edited by Lefty223; 09-12-16 at 11:53.

Feedback Score
    thx everyone who had some input on this. here is some followup:

i called Windham Weaponry and the very friendly man on the phone informed me that the 7.62x39 uppers tend to sheer extractors quite frequently. he said with brass ammo it's unusual but with steel cased ammo it it's pretty much a question of when rather than if. i figured he might be critical of my running steel cased ammo, but he jokingly said the extractors are cheap enough and steel ammo pays for itself. i was shocked to hear such reasonable staff from a manufacturer.

so he mailed me a new extractor which i received the next day. he said if it breaks again i can just call them for another. i have always been a fan of windham for their no-nonsense products. i'm also really impressed by their CS. definitely i will continue to be a supporter of them.

Feedback Score
    I run heavy buffers in all my 7.62x39 ARs, slows things down which reduces stress on the extractor. I mainly started the heavy buffers cause my early ASC mags weren't bringing up rounds fast enough. The heavy buffer helped although upgraded springs was the final fix. I run an LMT enhanced bolt ( with the lobster claw extractor) that's been in my first build for about 5 years, an Alpha Shooting Sports upper & BCG and last year I got a Palmetto State Armory BCG. So far none of them have broken a bolt or extractor shooting a mix of steel case & Yugo M67.

Really it comes down to ammo cost here. If you want an upper for hunting and only plan to shoot a few boxes of rounds the .300 is a good choice, and you only need to buy the upper, you've probably already got the BCG & mags. If you buy ammo by the crate like I do then 7.62x39 looks better. Years ago mags weren't as good as they are now which caused most problems. I've also looked at the RRA & PSA AR-47s (that take AK mags) and the CMMG Mutant but they're all north of a grand, I don't have over $500 in any of my 7.62x39 ARs.

I just picked up a Radical Firearms 10.5" 7.62x39 pistol upper, runs great and accurate. Almost bought it in .300BO just to give it a try but I already had a stockpile of 7.62x39 mags & ammo so it was cheaper for me to stick to my commie caliber. And I've got AKs, a VZ and a PTR-32 that also eats 7.62x39.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789