Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 7.62X39 AR???

Feedback Score
    My Colt 7.62X39 has run well on USA mags but that company is no longer producing them and may be out of business.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcj1980 View Post
    I'm sure I'll be barred now, but I'm not a huge remington fan.
    While most appreciate Remington for some variants over others this is not exactly blasphemy regardless. Pretty sure you'll survive.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For optimal reliability with 7.62x39, get an AK. If you want something more AR-ish, I have heard that the recent Sig 556Rs are more reliable than earlier guns. If you are shooting past 200 yards, there are better choices than x39. But for a general purpose brush gun, an AK is hard to beat.
    Last edited by 7.62WildBill; 01-28-14 at 17:42.
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    After much research and some very good advice, I've decided to go with the .300 blackout. Could care less about the ability to surpressed, but hey it the mood hits me I have that option. I like the .308 ar's but there's a huge difference in weight. I'm going to order my rifle tomorrow!

Feedback Score
    colt-762x39.jpg

I would also choose a 300 BO as the magazine issue is the center of the "problems" with a 7.62 x 39 AR. No problems with the kit pictured, Colt 5 shot magazines and a working C products 25 round. Old metal 20 round GI mags normally run up to 7 rounds flawlessly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcj1980 View Post
    From what I've read .300 blk was designed specifically to be surpressed. I wonder how it'd be for a hunting round, and what will ammo availability be 5-10 years from now.
    .300 BLK does well in supersonic loadings as well, and plenty of hogs have been put down by this. Shot placement is more important tan caliber anyways.
    Good point about ammo availability, but reloading .300 BLK is relatively easy, being a mix of .223/5.56 and .308 components.

For me, just looking at the the thin edges of a 7.62x39 AR bolt and the mag curvature abruptly coming to an end at the top of the magazine is enough to put me off the x39 AR idea.

For a long time, I was fascinated by the PWS 7.62x39 Diablo (and even the longer versions), and as well made as they are, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    Personally, I would go 300BLK over 7.62x39 because of the interchangeability with 5.56/223. Literally, the ONLY difference is the barrel. Bolt, mags, etc. are all the same. It uses standard .30 cal bullets. The only drawback is ammo prices. ~$1 a shot for plinking ammo. I reload, so I don't have to worry about that. I can load match ammo ~$.40/rd and plinking ammo ~$.25/rd. If you happen to get into this cartridge, I would highly advise getting into reloading if you're not already.

300BLK is not solely for suppressed use. I have one and don't see myself getting a suppressor any time soon. IMO, 300BLK is the perfect hunting round. I mainly use mine for hog hunting, but I do plan to use it for deer in the future once I figure out a nice shooting load.

Read up the 300BLK and you will be amazed how versatile this cartridge is.
    300BLK ammo has been showing up for under $1/rd. I recently saw an online retailer sell them for $44/50rds.

Definitely go with the 300BLK AR. Ammo should become more available as things are calming down and ammo in every caliber is coming back. Reloading will help you in the long run also.

I was gonna say, if you really wanted a 7.62x39 rifle just get an AK, 556R, or LAR47.

Feedback Score
    Does not Rock River Arms offer an AR-15 style carbine in 7.62 x 39 that takes AK 47 magazines?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    Does not Rock River Arms offer an AR-15 style carbine in 7.62 x 39 that takes AK 47 magazines?
    They've been advertising them for about a year now, but to my knowledge still haven't shipped a single rifle to those who've pre-ordered them.

Feedback Score
    We wouldn't have this problem if Knights would just release a Civvy SR-47.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast