Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weights and cardio on the same day...is this a bad idea?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    When I lift heavy on lower body dominant lifts (Squats, Cleans, Snatches), I always follow up with a high intensity low volume sprint of some sort. I do this about twice a week.

For example, 70 yards sprints on the minute for 10 minutes at 90% intensity. I also do the same thing with bleachers.

I loathe running distance, but the high intensity stuff actually carries over into my lifts. I believe it helps with explosiveness. The high intensity stuff seems to work better for me. I've noticed that I stay leaner without losing strength like I did with endurance training.
    Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Every day this week thus far, I've done 4 miles @ 7:30 pace, which I would consider easy, then 30:00 on the bike keeping my heart rate about 130 BPM, which nets me about 9.2 miles in the allotted time, followed by weights.

The short answer is that it totally depends on your physical condition. When you get into higher levels of conditioning you'll have to make larger and larger training commitments to make smaller gains. When you're running a 10:00 mile, it doesn't take much to improve. At a 6:00, the gains are smaller for much more training.

There is a lot to be said for lower intensity duration training, and high intensity has its place as well. From my experience though, its much easier to get hurt on faster or interval runs than it is long(er) ones.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    In the same day, no problem. I'd say no in the same session, but this is a general answer not knowing any other pertinent facts.

When you finish your strength training re-fueling the body with protein shortly thereafter is an important part of building muscle. Jumping straight to cardio delays the fueling process. So, let's say your goal is to build muscle I'd separate cardio and weights into two workouts in the same day.
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've heard before that weight training and cardio on the same day can compromise your strength gains. BUT, here's an article from the NY Times (I know...) about a University research study which found no indications of "interference"; i.e. doing cardio before or after lifting weights does not compromise your workout:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...ype=blogs&_r=0

However, if you do cardio after you lift, the increased blood flow may help flush lactic acid from your muscles and reduce next day & 2nd day after soreness.
    Last edited by Krusty783; 01-30-14 at 09:34.

Feedback Score
    If my goal is to just stay relatively thin and not gain weight...I would think that doing more activities that burn calories is better than going home and watching tv and eating even healthy foods.

I am not trying to look like Arnold or gain strength to win a lifting contest...just remain healthy and not get fat as I reach 50.

Feedback Score
    You can, and it will be beneficial. But you induce a lot more stress on the body through an exaggerated release of cortisol after your workout. I myself lift at 0600, and after classes and such get home an run between 3-6 miles by 1800. That way you can replenish lost protein, vitamins, and help a stressed CNS recover slightly before your next workout, be it weights or running. Also, putting time between your workout and run allows you to train at a relatively higher intensity, making gains/progress that much more. But, I do see a lot of guys follow your same pattern too, so it obviously works. At least your doing something.

P.S.: DONT SKIP LEG DAY

Feedback Score
    All the time, mix it up to see what works best for you & your goals.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    I was wondering...

In the last few weeks, I have been doing maybe 30-45 minutes of elliptical work (...with the resistance cranked way up so it actually does some good) after doing an upper body free weight session (hour and a half of dumbell presses, curls, flys, rows, tricep kickbacks....etc.).

Is this a bad idea? Someone told me that doing weight training and cardio on the same day is counter-productive. If my weight work is upper body and the elliptical is lower....does it matter?

My daughter joins me at the club, after her tennis lesson and my weight workout and this was something we can do together when we cannot get outside to hit on the tennis court. When the weather gets better...I plan on taking back up with tennis and using my "cardio days" helping my daughter improve her game (she is on the high school tennis team). I am not a huge fan of indoor cardio on a machine like a treadmill, bike or even this elliptical...rather be outside.

So is cardio on the same day as weights a bad idea? I know it is important to do both weights AND cardio but never found a straight answer on whether one right after the other is good or bad.

Thanks in advance for the replies...

-brickboy240
    Depends mostly on your goals. If your goals is to get stronger, add muscle, etc, then doing cardio right after could be counter productive yes. Two, hour and a half including kick backs and flys? Stick to primary multi joint, best bang for the buck, exercises like squats, chin ups, bent rows, standing press, and forget things like kick backs, all of which should easily be done in 40mins to an hour max.

Finally, if I read the above correctly, no lower body work other than aerobic work? Stop that. Do a proper program that includes lower body work.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    With 5 cardio sessions per week and 3 weight-lifting ones, well....do the math. Yes, there are a day or two each week where I have to do both in one day. Always do cardio first though.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You lost me at tricep kickbacks and flyes. Maybe something like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 or Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 for your strength training programming.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast