Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weights and cardio on the same day...is this a bad idea?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    With 5 cardio sessions per week and 3 weight-lifting ones, well....do the math. Yes, there are a day or two each week where I have to do both in one day. Always do cardio first though.
    If your goal is to build/maintain muscle, then it is counterproductive to do cardio right before weights. Will can dispute this if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that doing cardio right before weights will deplete your testosterone, which means you won't be getting the full benefit of a weightlifting session. Something like a morning cardio session and an evening weight session would be better if you wanted to get cardio out of the way first.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    If your goal is to build/maintain muscle, then it is counterproductive to do cardio right before weights. Will can dispute this if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that doing cardio right before weights will deplete your testosterone, which means you won't be getting the full benefit of a weightlifting session. Something like a morning cardio session and an evening weight session would be better if you wanted to get cardio out of the way first.
    Unfortunately it's a time factor coming into play. I work 3 (night) 12 hour shifts one week and 4 the next. Given that I have an almost 50 minute drive to work all I have time for on work days is cardio....not enough time to drive to the gym and drive home to get ready for work. Hell, I'm lucky if I'm getting 6 to 6 1/2 hours of sleep on those days as it is! So, that leaves my weight training on my off days, but still have a cardio or 2 left to do that week also. As it is I basically don't have a totally "off" day from workouts unless I want to add to the number of days I do cardio/weights in the same day. It sucks.......but by damned when they close the lid they'll say "At least he looked good"!

Summertime is worse with the heat sapping my energy and then having to lift too.

I'm 48yo and still trying to maintain a workout schedule like I'm 30! That's okay though, as I have (had I guess is a better way to put it) "low-T" and 1/2cc of Test Cypionate a week does help believe it or not. In fact, it was really dragging ass on my cardio/weight days that got me motivated to get my T checked in the first place.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 02-02-14 at 20:48.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    No I totally understand what you mean about time crunch and trying to fit in workouts. All I was saying was that it may be better to switch you cardio to after weights instead of before. In your situation it wouldn't add time to your workouts since you're already doing both. Splitting it to a morning cardio session (or lunch time) is probably best (IMO)...IF you have the time for it.

And kudos to you for working out and staying in shape at your age. I wanna be like you when I grow up

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    When doing cardio and weights in the same sessions there's 2 schools of thought I've always heard.

1. If i do 30 minutes of cardio first it gets the body starting to burn cals and continues it as I push through my lifting sessions.

2. If I lift weights first I have all of my energy for going hard on weights. However, You have a bit longer to wait for the protein after the lift. Unless, you like slamming 20oz of thick protein before 30 minutes of running.

I for one want to put as much effort as I can into my lifting. So i go with number 2 and make sure to get protein immediately after the cardio. Not saying I am right but thats the way I see it.

Or do crossfit and "cardio-lift". not for me, but may be for you.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    And kudos to you for working out and staying in shape at your age. I wanna be like you when I grow up
    Friggin' whippersnappers!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    Or do crossfit and "cardio-lift". not for me, but may be for you.
    Yeah, I haven't been able to bridge that gap either. Old school I guess. I suppose it's the wave of the future (?). I keep cardio and strength training separate, but I can see the utility of the cardio-fit regimen for functionality (and there certainly is something to be said for that in the real world).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I also do cardio sometimes before lifting. However I prefer to mix in my cardio while lifting by doing interval training. Lift a set, do abs, lift another set, do heavy ropes, lift another set, do jumping jacks or mountain climbers, when all is done, after 1-1.5 hrs you've got your lifting and cardio done all at once

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Yeah, I haven't been able to bridge that gap either. Old school I guess. I suppose it's the wave of the future (?). I keep cardio and strength training separate, but I can see the utility of the cardio-fit regimen for functionality (and there certainly is something to be said for that in the real world).
    I see it as an option for people with kids and stuff that need to blast themselves really quickly. I do some of the "tests" sometimes to see how I am compared to some crossfitters. I have the time to do my personal workouts but If I really had all the time in the world I would do my workouts and crossfit twice a week. For me, most of the time I want to lift when I want to lift and I want to do cardio when I want to do cardio. I don't like mixing the 2.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    I see it as an option for people with kids and stuff that need to blast themselves really quickly..... For me, most of the time I want to lift when I want to lift and I want to do cardio when I want to do cardio. I don't like mixing the 2.
    Singing my song. I like circuits for that very reason. My goal is weight maintenance and fitness now that I am 45...my days of trying to be super lean or running marathons or doing Tough Mudders are behind me. I usually do either moderate/heavy weights followed by some cardio, or a moderate weight routine that hits the whole body and do it quickly for the combo weight-cardio thing (my usual routine). Some days I just skip weights altogether and go for a nice, slow run. I wish I had a couple hours a day, or five or six days a week, to devote to exercising but if my wife and kids want to see me, I just can't do it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm in agreement. As a rule, it's been shown that resistance training does not negatively impact cario, but cardio does negatively impact resistance training. If one has to to them in the same session, I'd do the resistance training first. Best to break them up by at least a few hours of possible.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast