Thread: FN 509F MRD-LE

Feedback Score

FN 509F MRD-LE

Picked this up the other day. Has a 4.5 inch barrel and came with night sights and three mags, plus an array of optic plates and hardware. My first foray into the 509 world. For those of you that own 509's, have you had good experiences with them?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That full sized slide looks nice. I always thought they should come that way. My mid-size has the shorter grip and standard length slide.

All the gripes I have about my midsize seem fixed on yours. You have RDS, updated trigger, and updated mag release.

Mine recoils with more muzzle flip than the rest of my guns which is a little distracting. It has a bit higher bore axis and it may be because of the yellow/weaker factory spring they started installing to work better with suppressors. The added barrel length and added weight of yours will probably help with that too.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I had a 509 Tactical. Was not a fan. Terrible trigger and holster compatibility was sparse.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Had a T&E 509 MRD LE for a bit. Accuracy was fine, but the trigger wasn't very good, never cleaned up and the sights are ridiculously high. I was hoping for an improvement over the FNS, but if it is, I didn't see it or feel it. Visually, the multiple texturing patterns on it gave the impression there was too many people designing it at one time.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 02-28-24 at 13:27.
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I had a 509 Tactical. Was not a fan. Terrible trigger and holster compatibility was sparse.
    Same comments. I corrected gritty crap trigger but was a PITA.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    holster compatibility was sparse.
    I always make a point to consider aftermarket support when purchasing a pistol. Glocks make it too easy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Glocks make it too easy.
    That is the reason I went with Glocks to put together my 357 sig pistols.

It just was easy and a lot cheaper than other brands

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    That is the reason I went with Glocks to put together my 357 sig pistols.

It just was easy and a lot cheaper than other brands
    So true…..but I get so bored with Glocks. I love my 509T. I put in the time and effort to clean up the trigger and it runs great. But it’s more expensive for what you get and you just don’t have the after market support. As everyone else has mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Hey OP…..if you don’t like the trigger Apex makes one now for the 509. That wasn’t available when I bought mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    While the 509 looked and felt nice at a couple of trade shows, I confess I've never fired one. That said, I was employed by one of the few agencies (four that I found) that foolishly issued the FNS-9.

The magazine release appears the same on the FNS-9 and the FN-509. If it works the same, it is easy to activate and drops the mags smoothly. It is ambidextrous and you may find that problematic depending on how you carry the pistol. We had magazines released when officers brushed against walls, center consoles, whatever. I lost one aboard the FOP bus transporting a group of us from the wall to the Capitol during Police Memorial Week.

It can be replaced by a lower profile release which makes changing magazines somewhat more challenging, but reduces the risk of "uncommanded ejections".

The FNS compact comes with the low profile magazine release. I found it impossible to eject those magazines unless I placed the weapon on a table.