Thread: SBR Build Question

Feedback Score

SBR Build Question

Is it possible to purchase a SBR(14.5) upper prior to lower purchase and registration?
    I understand the law states that it is illegal to install SBR uppers on unregistered lowers but what about simply possessing (uninstalled) them for the duration of the build?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Most companies will sell you whatever you want.

It's possible, doable but not advisable if you own an unregistered lower.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    Thanks! I dont mean building an unregistered SBR. I was just curious as to the order of parts purchase, whether it was possible to purchase a 14.5 upper prior to the registered SBR lower.
    Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's what I was referring to- keeping them in the same household.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wouldn't do it.

There are an infinite number of circumstances that can bring the cops to your home, even with you doing nothing wrong.

I have had half a dozen cruisers surround my house, with a SO lieutenant at my door for 2 hours, with a search warrant with my name on it (fortunately the address on it was not my current residence). I had done nothing (and I mean NOTHING) wrong, and while the search warrant was for a person (fugitive) and not guns, that's just an example of something unexpected that can open your house up to the cops.

I don't see any upside to buying the upper before your stamp comes back, and a whole lot of possible downside.

Feedback Score
    The only way I would buy ahead of time is if I had a pistol lower to put it on. It leaves you open to too many things.

Feedback Score
    By my understanding, if you had a virgin receiver that could be lawfully assembled into a pistol configuration on hand, you would be OK to have the short upper.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You guys are ALL guessing here. You ought to stop guessing, assuming, whatever you want to call it.

The assumptions could place someone on the wrong side of the law.

IIRC, you must register that lower as a pistol when filling out the 4473 in order for it to be used as a pistol.

If you have a "virgin" receiver laying around you registered as a rifle then it wasn't registered as a pistol...