Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets talk ~ 9" 300 BLK SBR barrels - Noveske, Ranier, AAC.... what's good?

Feedback Score

Lets talk ~ 9" 300 BLK SBR barrels - Noveske, Ranier, AAC.... what's good?

Let's talk barrels. Specifically SBR barrels in 300 BLK. What's your favorite and most importantly why? Also, I'm trying to figure out why the AAC barrel is so expensive.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The only two of those listed that I have any experience with are the Noveske and the AAC. It has been shown that you don't need any more than 9" of barrel to effectively burn off all of the powder in the 300BLK. All of those listed are in the 8.2-9" range, only other one I would add is the KAC 9.5" but I don't think the barrel can be bought alone, pretty sure you have to purchase the entire upper and at $1900 that's a crazy hard pill to swallow.

Of the two that I have experience with, I believe that the Noveske is slightly more accurate as they usually are and the AAC isn't far behind. I own the AAC MPW 9" complete upper and I couldn't be happier. I am not sure why the AAC barrel is more, but AAC did develop the round and they most likely have more R&D into barrels and what works than any of the other manufacturers and that might be why the price is higher. Got to pass on the expenses incurred in development to the buyer.

The 300BLK is a low pressure round and should cause very little wear to a barrel, that said I would pick whichever manufacturers specs meet your criteria and budget and snag one.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I've been looking into a barrel for a while. I'm at the point where I'd buy anything if it were just in stock.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    CMMG looks great on paper, but they have shown to have both VERY tight chambers as well as small gas ports. Gas port is easy to correct, tight chamber not so much.

I dont have any direct experience with the Rainier barrels, but all reports should put them as good options. The select barrels are Black Hole Weaponry, the match are supposedly White Oak and the Ultra Match are obviously Shilen. All 3 are great companies.

If you can find the Noveske in stock anywhere, its a great barrel. AAC are easier to find and also a great barrel. Ive got extensive use of both AAC and Noveske and its a toss up either way IMO.

Feedback Score
    I have an 8 in from Mas Defense, quick shipping and good price. They have several options.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wanted a Noveske for my build for the longest time and just could never find them in stock. Having used Rainier barrels and knowing the quality, I ended up going with the Rainier 10.5" select 1:8.5 and have been really pleasantly surprised. It shoots WAY more accurately than I expected, and with the cost of 300BLK right now, I can't say a Noveske barrel would give better results given the amount I am able to shoot this gun. So I give a big +1 to the Rainier barrels.

This target was shot at 100 yards with an Aimpoint T1 2 MOA dot with 150g FMJ PNW ammo. Shot on a bench laid over range bag without a rear bag.
    Target100yd.jpg

Feedback Score
    Really, really like my 1-7" AAC upper. And I love my Raineer UM. My choice would be the AAC though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bought a CMMG because it was cheap and available, but I made damn sure the threads were concentric before I trusted my AR to it. Currently in the process of setting up a Lock-n-load to feed it but it has broken in nicely on a diet of 125 gr SSTs, 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and 220 gr SMKs.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm leaning toward the AAC barrel personally. When you factor in the cost of the gas block and tube and nitrided barrel the cost doesn't seem unreasonable. Does anyone know if the AAC uses traditional or polygonal rifling? I'd prefer poly but it's not a deal breaker.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have an AAC barrel and am very happy with it, but it is the only barreling have used so far. I have a no name 9" I'm in the process of putting together. I traded for it and the previous owner did the same, so no idea of manufacturer(no markings).

When it all comes together ill let you know.

By the way, anyone know who makes unmarked stainless barrels?
    Last edited by fixit69; 02-08-14 at 11:45.
    "You cannot play fair with people who don't care if you get wiped off the map. You don't have to hate everyone who isn't part of your tribe, but it is foolish to keep caring about people who don't care about you."
    Speech at the second National Policy Institute conference, December 26, 2013.

See you soon, AC.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast