Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk ~ 9" 300 BLK SBR barrels - Noveske, Ranier, AAC.... what's good?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Aac is button rifled, 4150.

I've seen a 9" aac shoot under half moa with 208 amax subs. A coke can tab covered all 5 holes.

Noveske seem to do just about the same.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive had both noveske and aac, both shot well. I went aac for my sbr simply because I couldnt find a noveske, but am completely happy with it. I never considered the rainier barrels due to their slow twist.
    Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Aac is button rifled, 4150.

I've seen a 9" aac shoot under half moa with 208 amax subs. A coke can tab covered all 5 holes.

Noveske seem to do just about the same.

My 9" AAC is cold hammer forged, nitrided 4150 cmv.

I was pretty surprised with how accurate the AAC is. I shot three 5 round groups (I prefer 10 round groups but ammo is limited right now) at 100 yards with factory black tip that averaged just a hair over 1.2" using a leupold 1.25-4 and the magazine as a rest.

I know with a bag to rest and a higher mag optic, I could have gotten better. With SMK I'm hearing guys shooting well under 1 MOA.

I don't know that I'd buy the AAC barrel separate just because of price, but as a complete upper I like it.

The KAC I'm sure is a good barrel. But the upper at $1,800 is a bit much. About $800 of that is the ridiculously expensive e3 boot carrier group and the $300+ micro BUIS. It would be. Nice if they offered it with a standard bolt carrier group and barrel extension. With a standard carrier and the micro BUIS, $1,400 would be a fair price consider the AAC is &1,080 with a standard NiB carrier group and no BUIS.

Munch 520 just went through this and bought a Core15 stainless barrel. Interested to see how it does. No rake sells their stainless barrel separately, but I've only seen their CHF barrels as part of a complete upper. Not sure if they're available separately or not. With the low pressure of 300blk, I think a short stainless barrel will last more than most of us used to 5.56 would expect, but for me, a 4150 barrel makes the most sense.

One issue I've found is handguard lengths and different manufacturers barrel lengths. KAC has the 9.5" which works great with their URX 4 8.5" keymod, but won't have suppressor clearance if I use the URX 4 with the 9" AAC. I'd like to swap my URX 3 for the URX 4. Even though the difference is only .5", you actually gain an inch at the bottom plus have the same feel out to the edge instead of rail sections like the URX 3.

Centurion offers a 7.5" then jumps to a 10.5". Not sure about DD or others. Personally, I'm very happy with the AAC and unless Monty offered a 9.5" or BCM started offering 300blk barrels, I'll be sticking with them.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 02-09-14 at 13:38.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm not sure how their 9"-ish barrels are, but I'm very happy with my 16" DD shooting handoads - sub moa with my 125sst / 17.8gr h110 load that I worked up. Barnes black tip 110gr factory loads shoot around 1moa through it as well.
    I wouldn't hesitate to give a DD 10.3" a try (IIRC they don't make anything shorter)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    I have a 9in stainless from Grim Reaper that is unmarked.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Dont forget about Seekins

I believe they use Rock Creek Blanks

Looking like April time frame for thier 8in 1-7 300 blk barrel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bates View Post
    Dont forget about Seekins

I believe they use Rock Creek Blanks

Looking like April time frame for thier 8in 1-7 300 blk barrel
    I'll add seekins to the list. Although this link makes me think they need to spend more time studying barrel fluting:

http://www.varmintal.com/aflut.htm

Feedback Score
    I have had nothing but posits results with Wilson Combat barrels and will be building up another AR with the 11.3 BO barrel tomorrow.
    I expect to be happy with the results
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For as expensive as most of Wilsons stuff is, their barrels are a surprisingly good value. Ive used a couple and they have a very nice fit and finish as well as shooting good.
    Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

Feedback Score
    Will be building mine up tonight and hopefully shoot a deer or hog over the weekend..
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast