Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offset RDS opinions.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Offset RDS opinions.

So I think I am going to give the whole offset RDS thing a try. I have tried about everything else out there and still have not found the perfect set up and probably never will. My plan is to get a 2.5-10 scope, probably the vortex and do an offset RDS. The big debate is should I use an aimpoint micro, or an RMR. I have used both and like both. Under most situations I would choose the aimpoint as it seems more rugged and has better battery life. That being said the RMR is lighter and has less footprint and may make more sense in an offset situation.

I know opinions are always changing so I thought I would see what people are thinking these days.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    RMRs don't do well in the rain, so if that's a concern pass and use the micro.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=4096

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Thanks for that, it is definitely something to be concerned with. It is either snowing or raining in Michigan for probably half the year, so perhaps I should stick with the micro. Ive owned a t1 and h1 and always loved both. Was never very impressed with the rmr's, but they are tiny.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm going to run a T-1 on an offset with the TD rubber covers.

I had a RMR on a offset and it was a nice setup. I didn't like that the adjustments (clicks) of the RMR turned to complete mush in the cold. When making adjustments at the range I had to guestimate it, that and they are pretty coarse.

The other issue with offset RDS, is if muzzle side signature is a concern, it is a nicely reflective surface. More so than even riflescopes due to the tint of the front lens, hence why i'd want a cover for it.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    There are few occasions were I would prefer an offset RDS over offset irons.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    There are few occasions were I would prefer an offset RDS over offset irons.
    I don't know if I could make that work. I'd like to use offset iron sites, but I have a MUR upper receiver. I worry with how far forward I would have to attach the rear sight, the arperture size would make it difficult to use.

Both front and rear would be mounted to the free-floating rail, but I don't think that's a big deal. It's a Larue 13.2 inch.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    I don't know if I could make that work. I'd like to use offset iron sites, but I have a MUR upper receiver. I worry with how far forward I would have to attach the rear sight, the arperture size would make it difficult to use.

Both front and rear would be mounted to the free-floating rail, but I don't think that's a big deal. It's a Larue 13.2 inch.
    I've used large aperture rear sights placed forward of the ejection port, and they worked for me, however, you would need to try one out yourself to see if it is acceptable.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Do all of the KAC off-set sights now have the removeable plastic aperture in the rear? Both the 300 and 600m versions (p/n 30076 & 30079) ?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Do all of the KAC off-set sights now have the removeable plastic aperture in the rear? Both the 300 and 600m versions (p/n 30076 & 30079) ?
    Yuppers.
    Though the website does pop up an old pic (small aperture) depending on what item you search.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Yuppers.
    Though the website does pop up an old pic (small aperture) depending on what item you search.
    Do the new standard or micro 200-600 have the removable aperture too? I moved the 200-600 off of my 9" 300blk and am using my 300m because I like having the large aperture. I'd rather be using a 200-600 if I had a large aperture. I'm using the 200-600 on my 14.5" Colt, but I'd still prefer to have the option of a large aperture on that one too. I didn't even notice it at SHOT.

I hate the idea of spending more money on BUIS I already have, but that would be a nice thing to have.

I also need a replacement plastic small aperture for my 300m since I lost it a while back.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast