Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KAC lpr ammo and Glass suggestions

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

KAC lpr ammo and Glass suggestions

Picked up a LPR over the weekend and its my First truly accuracy oriented gun.Im looking for suggestions from some fellow owners on a good starting point as far as ammo they seem to like and what scopes to look at.

I'll start off by saying the farthest I'll be able to shoot local is 200yrds and I'm more concerned with shooting a pig or two than I am "long range" shooting.I'd like to be able to do some groups but also be able to pick the gun up and carry it around without hating life up close.I'd like to be around 5-600$ on the glass in all honesty

I was looking at getting a vortex viper PST 1-4 with a larue or Adm recon mount,Would this be a decent option?

Next thing Would be ammo selection,I'm not a handloader and truly dont see myself doing it in the immediate future.Ive read that as far as factory loads are concerned the black hill 77gr sierra match kings load seems to do fairly well? What other options are out there? The hornaday/mk262/privi match are a few I see

I understand that each rifle will like every load alittle different ,I'm just trying to get a starting point.

Thanks ahead of time

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If you are shooting 200yds max, there is nothing wrong with the Vortex 1-4x you mentioned for larger animals like feral hogs or coyotes. For smaller animals like groudhogs, it might be a little underpowered. For a few hundred more, you can get something a little more powerful (Vortex PST 2.5-10). I would seriously consider that over the 1-4 for a precision rig.

Regarding the optic mount, do some research. There are a few threads comparing the Larue and ADM mounts. I was just researching this topic earlier tonight for my upcoming scope purchase (Vortex PST 2.5-10 as mentioned above). As long as you stick with ADM, Larue, or Bobro, you really can't go wrong.

GOOGLE search

As far as ammo goes, Black Hills Mk262 is the gold standard. The only factory loaded match ammo I've tried is the Black Hills Mk262, so I can't speak of any other brands. Black Hills Mk262 is right around $1/rd and the others are far more expensive. YMMV in pricing. Personally, my rifle didn't really care for the Black Hills load. I haven't had the chance to push it out further than 100 yds, but the Mk262 was shooting .75" @ 100yds while my handloads were <.5" @ 100yds. They may be great at 200yds; I've heard a lot of folks say bullets don't really settle down until they pass 100yds-150yds.

I took down a 175lb hog DRT @ 130yds about a month ago with my handloaded 77gr ammo, so it is plenty powerful.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 02-11-14 at 00:20.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Glass:
    I'm a Nightforce user. Their glass does everything I need it to do, it's solid and excellent support from the manufacturer. My recommendation is for either NF 1-4X24 or 2.5-10X32 (Or X24 of you can find one). Reticle is a choice that you'll have to make on your own. However I find that the FC-2 and the Mil-Dot reticle have been excellent for me.

Ammo: Blackhills MK262 MOD1 has been flawless for me. If you're looking at shooting for groups at 200 and further, that is a good starting point. For hunting I'd recommend Blackhills 5.56 50 grain TSX or their 5.56 62 grain TSX.

Quote Originally Posted by 03scgt View Post
    Picked up a LPR over the weekend and its my First truly accuracy oriented gun.Im looking for suggestions from some fellow owners on a good starting point as far as ammo they seem to like and what scopes to look at.

I'll start off by saying the farthest I'll be able to shoot local is 200yrds and I'm more concerned with shooting a pig or two than I am "long range" shooting.I'd like to be able to do some groups but also be able to pick the gun up and carry it around without hating life up close.I'd like to be around 5-600$ on the glass in all honesty

I was looking at getting a vortex viper PST 1-4 with a larue or Adm recon mount,Would this be a decent option?

Next thing Would be ammo selection,I'm not a handloader and truly dont see myself doing it in the immediate future.Ive read that as far as factory loads are concerned the black hill 77gr sierra match kings load seems to do fairly well? What other options are out there? The hornaday/mk262/privi match are a few I see

I understand that each rifle will like every load alittle different ,I'm just trying to get a starting point.

Thanks ahead of time

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You paid $2500 or so for a rifle and only want to spend $5-600 on glass?

Well a Vortex PST 1-4 is a good choice in an ADM mount, but if you can swing it, a 2.5-10 will let you get more out of your expensive SS match grade barrel than a 1-4 will.

Blackhills Mk262 or Federal Gold Medal Match in 77 gr are excellent choices. I'd also recommend Southwest Ammunition's 77gr SMK match ammo. They all shoot the same bullet and are all consistent with themselves. But at only 200yds, I would consider trying 69-ish gr bullets. You might get more accuracy at that short of a distance.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 02-11-14 at 10:00.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Glass:
    I'm a Nightforce user. Their glass does everything I need it to do, it's solid and excellent support from the manufacturer. My recommendation is for either NF 1-4X24 or 2.5-10X32 (Or X24 of you can find one). Reticle is a choice that you'll have to make on your own. However I find that the FC-2 and the Mil-Dot reticle have been excellent for me.

Ammo: Blackhills MK262 MOD1 has been flawless for me. If you're looking at shooting for groups at 200 and further, that is a good starting point. For hunting I'd recommend Blackhills 5.56 50 grain TSX or their 5.56 62 grain TSX.
    +1 X 10

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    well I got a hell of a deal on it lol but I understand what you're saying

im not opposed to spending more but at the same time im not just looking for a gun just to shoot groups with.I looked at the vortex because I couldnt find any real negatives from any of the users and the few ive handle at stores I liked.I just knew I diddnt want to spend 1500$ on a scope that weighs 37 lbs and severly limits me up close if I were to take it out in the woods hog hunting.I posted here because I know theres plenty of people with more experience on this topic and I figure id make it easy on myself.

it seems so far the 1-4 would be fine but a 2.5-10 would be the better choice.Difference in price between the vortex and nightforce 2.5-10 is not substantial enough for me to pass up the night force even though its more than I wanted to spend.Sometimes I hate this place because it always makes me spend more money lol

Feedback Score
    if you are considering the NF 1-4 price range, then I'd strongly recommend looking through a vortex 1-6 HD before buying. I owned/used both and the vortex smokes the NF in just about every way. its only disadvantage would be the "weighs 37 lbs" part, but it will be WAY better up close and far away than the NF. also, pretty big difference in glass between the PST and HD, so don't judge one by the other.

also not far from that price range, look at the USO 1-8x (which I also own and is fantastic)

The NF 2.5-10 is a nice optic, but their 1-4x is awful glass. awful. and the reticle sucks. when i first ordered it, i was thinking, wow, i can't believe i'm getting mil/mil 1-4x with zero stop knobs and all the other features i'm used to on high end scopes. i just assumed the glass was as good as my bigger NF scopes or at least as good as an acog or something. nope.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    With LPRs, I have seen very good result with Federal Gold Medal Match 69 gr.
    I would also recommend BlackHills 77gr.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    OP wants to shoot pigs at 200 yards I would not use a OTM round for this, I would use a Barnes TSX for this purpose.

Feedback Score
    My vote is for the Vortex PST 2.5-10. For your application use. Great optic! The HD series has better glass, no question. I'm for the LaRue mounts. They are awesome. Never tried an Adams mount. I know Noodles here had some issues with his Adams mount. It wouldn't hold zero for him, but every company does have their hiccups every now and then.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast