Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $2000????? Elcan Specter DR 1-4X

Feedback Score

$2000????? Elcan Specter DR 1-4X

Granting you have the means, would you get one of this?-http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/ATI-ELCAN-DFOV14-C1.html,

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rifleman88 View Post
    Granting you have the means, would you get one of this?-http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/ATI-ELCAN-DFOV14-C1.html,
    I would not. I'd choose (and did) the Swarovski Z6i 1-6, BRT. No regrets.

Now... what do you like about the Elcan? What will you use it for?
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    If I could offer a suggestion...

If you really have a hankering for one of these, look to buy one used from somebody and save a good bit of money. Then you can have one, try it, and if you decide to sell it you can usually get back every penny you spent. If you guy it brand new you'll pay full price and the minute you mount it on a rifle, you have lost several hundred bucks.

I had one, bought it used, tried it out, felt it was too much weight on the rifle and sold it, and recouped what I had paid for it.

Feedback Score
    I've shot the elcan a lot and am not a fan of it. I just picked up the leupold mk6 and am in love. For less money you can get a far better optic in my opinion. If possible try to look through both and judge for yourself.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    No.

The mounts are garbage. The external adjustments collect debris over time, leading to wandering zero whenever you knock it loose (think loose sand/dirt). ARMS mounts are non-adjustable and are cast, not forged. They have been known to snap when securing onto rails if the fit is "too tight". I've broken one ARMS lever at work (PEQ-15A, 2012) and we have maybe 5-10 Surefires that the mount doesn't lock securely to a KAC rail and rattles.

Different optic but similar mount, the M145s in my unit are notorious for failing to hold zero and I've personally seen one completely break off of the mount in a jump when the Soldier rode his SAW in. Hardly abuse.

There are FAR better options for less money. All of my friends in the Rangers have gone back to their EOTechs.

Feedback Score
    It looks as though Elcan has fixed the POI issue with the new(er) elcans correct? That leaves the crappy mounts. Is it possible to use a different mount or go to the MKII throw levers???

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can buy the adjustable arms mounts, I did that for two Elcans...
    They aren't easy to install, but not to bad.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadds View Post
    You can buy the adjustable arms mounts, I did that for two Elcans...
    They aren't easy to install, but not to bad.
    Thank you for the tip.

Could you please link the exact mount/arms you used?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Figured it out. Thanks for the tip. I may try one out. Undecided

Sent From A Spaceship On Cloud 9

Feedback Score
    Oops, I just posted the same question.. Sorry, I want to buy an Elcan so bad but just not enough "good info" about.. Should have kept the EoTech/magnifier. Maybe ACOG? What is the general feeling on this site about Acog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast