Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Kid that fought Leukemia

Feedback Score

The Kid that fought Leukemia

Most of you are area of my son Tomas' fight with leukemia. He was in treatment for over three years; daily chemo, 23 spinal taps, a couple times we almost lost him. He finished treatment on 9 November 2010. While he was in treatment he formed a team; 'Team Tomas' that many of you have contributed to. He and his younger sister have raised over $55,000.00 USD in search of a one pill cure.

Today he was recognized with the Prudential Spirit of Community Award. Each year Prudential and the National Association of Secondary School Principals recognize 102 students from each state and the District of Columbia. It breaks down to one middle school and one high school student from each state.

The link will take you to the Honoree Search page, from there go to Virginia 2014; Tomas Nichols.

http://spirit.prudential.com/view/page/soc/307?lp=306

Your donations and notes of inspiration guided him through this path. Tomas sends his thanks to each and everyone of you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Outstanding! A well-deserved and hard-earned honor for Tomas. Pleased for you both.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    In a way, I am honestly not surprised that he was selected for such a recognition. Tomas has been an inspiration to myself, and I know he inspired many others.

I have not had the chance to walk with Team Tomas during a Light the Night fundraiser, but it's been a great pleasure to see his courage and commitment to others.

Ya done good, Gunny.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Congratulations! Well-deserved and a testament to his character.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It's been great hearing nothing but good news about Tomas since I can remember now. This only adds to the testament of what can be and why you can never give up until the end. Doesn't always pan out as we all well know, but it sure can and when it does it's got to be a joy like no other. Rattled you to the core no doubt, but he made it and now he's doing good in the community. Maybe in the end it will have somehow been worth the steep price of admission.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, I passed this onto him already. He is really stoked about this.

Feedback Score
    They held the event last weekend in D.C. Tomas said that it was right up there with when he finished treatment. In the below link, there are also links to his interview and radio announcement:

http://spirit.prudential.com/view/pa...306&reqid=3984

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tomas has every reason to feel proud. His fundraising efforts are a terrific accomplishment. Kudos to all: Tomas, parents, family, and friends.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Dang, Tomas is getting big! He's already 12, it just amazes me how fast times flies.

I'm looking forward to helping his campaign again. He's such a fine young man. I hope your Navy daughter is doing well in school, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I hope your Navy daughter is doing well in school, too.
    She is doing well, thanks for asking. She finished her sophomore year with straight A's except advanced calculus, she ended up with a D+. The calculus is for NROTC not her major. She is still sitting at number 2 or 3 in her unit. She has orders to report to Yokosuka for a two week cruise to Hong Kong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast