Thread: Corrosion on Aimpoint battery contacts?

Feedback Score

Corrosion on Aimpoint battery contacts?

I'm somewhat of a Noob dealing with small-sized electronics, so bear with me...

Due to its smaller size and lighter weight, I decided to put my Aimpoint R1 in storage (with the battery removed) and use my Aimpoint Pro for everyday use.

I purchased the R1 last summer. It was one of the last few Grant had (thanks, Grant!).

I've only used it a handful of times.

When I took the battery out for storage, I noticed each contact in the battery compartment has a tiny green spot of corrosion or discoloration.

It hasn't been terribly humid here (in fact the Southwest is drier than a sack of dessiccants).

The Aimpoint works fine. I even removed and replaced the battery and turned it on and off several times to verify that the little points of green are not affecting performance.

Should I clean the little green spots off before putting the R1 in storage?

Is it normal for each contact to have a tiny spot of green discoloration on it even on such a new sight?

I emphasize again--the Aimpoint works fine. It's just that I wasn't expecting to see these little green spots on the battery contacts in such a new sight.

I'm hoping it's entirely normal and it's one of those things that goes unnoticed 99.99% of the time. I would never have noticed it except for the fact that I'm putting the optic into storage and did a thorough inspection of it.

As long as the battery is removed from the optic, will it hurt to not clean the contacts right away?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 02-11-14 at 14:51.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    If one touches the contacts while placing or removing the battery, body fluids (i.e. sweat) can come into contact with the contacts.

With my body chemistry, if I handle a blued 1911, within 30 minutes it has rust colored finger prints.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    If one touches the contacts while placing or removing the battery, body fluids (i.e. sweat) can come into contact with the contacts.

With my body chemistry, if I handle a blued 1911, within 30 minutes it has rust colored finger prints.
    I didn't touch the contacts with my fingers at all. Battery: yes, contacts: no.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Clean the contacts. If you touched the flats of the battery, that's all it takes. Also be sure to use a quality battery.

Full disclosure; I work as Prostaff for Aimpoint.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe R. View Post
    Clean the contacts. If you touched the flats of the battery, that's all it takes. Also be sure to use a quality battery.

Full disclosure; I work as Prostaff for Aimpoint.
    What's the best method to clean the contacts? I have heard different opinions ranging from a pencil eraser to alcohol on a Q-Tip.

Also, I'm guessing that from now on I should only handle the batteries with rubber gloves on, correct? (It's the OEM battery).

EDITED TO ADD:

Found this post...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...52#post1152552

More than likely it is an alkaline battery, so baking soda won't neutralize it.

I just cleaned up a voltmeter in the same situation with 91% iso alcohol from Wal-Mart and a model paint brush. I cut the brush bristles short (1/4") to make them stiff. I kept alcohol on the bristles and just stabbed at the "lumps" of corrosion amongst the springs with the bristles ends until they started breaking up.

Blew the battery compartment out, cleaned the brush, put a couple of drops of CLP on the brush, dabbed a little oil where the corrosion was to give it a little corrosion resistance, and then back in business.
    I'm not sure about using CLP on the contacts, though. That stuff tends to "migrate" everywhere. I have my doubts it's good for the electronics.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 02-11-14 at 11:21.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Start out with a light rubbing with a pencil eraser. If that doesn't work, try a light rub with a green kitchen scouring pad.