Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newport News VA

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Newport News VA

So, it looks like a job opportunity for my fiancé is going to send us to Newport News, VA. Before I give the nod to the whole plan, I wanted to ask what everyone thinks of VA, and the Newport News area?

Places to shoot? Places to live?

Places to avoid?

Any and all feedback is welcome. I can see from a run through of the MidSouth forum that I'm already going to love finally being able to have an SBR (farewell to WA and their ridiculous prohibition)... What else can I look forward to or should I look out for.

Not looking forward to a personal income tax, but I guess that I will get to write it off on my Fed taxes, so all is not lost there.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It's hot, it's humid, there are lots of bugs, and it's harder to get good food and beer compared to the PNW. But VA is pretty nice overall. Newport News is like any place, there are good and bad spots, but it's nice overall. You will be very close to some nice beaches as well in VA and NC. There are also some very nice shooting facilities in the VA Beach area, as well as Hampton. Been a while since I was down there other than just passing through though.

Feedback Score
    I lived and worked in the Hampton Roads area for 12 years before I escaped. I left in 07 so my info is a little old but I would avoid the east end it was pretty dangerous. The west end and Hampton aren't bad, and the weather is terrible

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Hampton is worse than NN. There are 3 precincts for NN, the further north (away from Norfolk), the safer the area. Downtown is a rough spot - if its there, I'd avoid it. I believe where I am is in the central district, right by CNU. There are some decent parts mixed in with some rougher looking parts, and one very nice area (right on the James River, again near CNU). Of the rough parts, I have been here for 4.5 years and never had a problem. Again, the more central or north, the better. VA's gun laws are pretty solid, though our new Democrat governor will probably do what he can to limit our freedoms. I moved here from San Diego, and hated it initially, mostly because I thought the drivers were slow and stupid and the roads were confusing. I have come to love it though, the history is great and the people for the most part are as well - much better than the assholes in CA. For shooting, NN doesn't have a whole lot. If you're military, that gets you access to Camp Allen - nothing special but a decent option. VA Beach has C2 Shooting Center which is supposedly very nice, but at least an hour away (closer to 1.5 I think). Your best bet is Lafayette Gun Club. Private, and not accepting applications last I heard but I'm leaving in a few months so maybe they'd let us switch or something. It has its own pros and cons I can go into if interested, but do check out their site. Oh, and you are within about 3-4 hours (at most) of a shit ton of training from all of the big names.
    Last edited by Wake27; 02-12-14 at 21:44.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I do like the concept of being close to more training than I have here in the PNW. I am flying out there next week to look at houses and figure out what/where.

The concept of not having a range close by (even in downtown Seattle I am less than a half hour from four right now) absolutely sucks. I will have to appreciate range time more I guess.

Interesting to hear about neighborhoods being good/bad. Definitely will have two stamps for SBRs applied for the moment I am officially a resident. Had to laugh about needing to show "legal presence" to get an ID. The concept of having to prove you're legally in the country would cause my neighbors to recoil in horror at the implicit racism. Made me smile.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    I do like the concept of being close to more training than I have here in the PNW. I am flying out there next week to look at houses and figure out what/where.

The concept of not having a range close by (even in downtown Seattle I am less than a half hour from four right now) absolutely sucks. I will have to appreciate range time more I guess.

Interesting to hear about neighborhoods being good/bad. Definitely will have two stamps for SBRs applied for the moment I am officially a resident. Had to laugh about needing to show "legal presence" to get an ID. The concept of having to prove you're legally in the country would cause my neighbors to recoil in horror at the implicit racism. Made me smile.
    Mind sharing where she'll be working or general area?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Newport News VA

Newport News? I know that where her company's offices are located.

Don't know where in the city. Never been before.
    Last edited by _Stormin_; 02-13-14 at 21:18.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    Newport News.
    I meant more specific, if you know. Like I said, some nicer areas are mixed in with some not as nice areas so I was just curious.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ah. Sent you a PM with a pic of the map. I am completely unaware of the area.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I meant more specific, if you know. Like I said, some nicer areas are mixed in with some not as nice areas so I was just curious.
    Look for a place to live in York county or Poquoson, maybe Newport News towards Williamsburg.
    Other places would be across the James river bridge (Suffolk, Isle of Wight county, etc). More rural out there, and a longer commute, but worth it to some.
    Areas of hampton are ok, but the good places will be just as far away from Newport News as Suffolk and York.

Lafayette gun club is in York county and is great if you can get in (24x7 indoor range)
    Last edited by chrismartin; 02-13-14 at 21:34.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast