Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newport News VA

Feedback Score
    That was my home from 1970-2006. CNU area is good. Stay away from denbigh. Many areas are good, but next to bad ones. Lee hall, just north of denbigh is good

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismartin View Post
    Look for a place to live in York county or Poquoson, maybe Newport News towards Williamsburg.
    That...

It's a strange area to try to describe to someone. If you go out driving for a day, and you probably should. Get on I64 and go west that will run you up through Williamsburg. At least go to rt 30 and turn Rt and go to West Point... stop in at Diggs and get a deviled crab and cheese on an english muffin. then keep going and take a right on 17. that will run you down through the rural areas and put you back in Yorktown. After that go east down I64 and over to Norfolk then down to Northampton Blvd and head towards Lynhaven then on around to Shore Dr and then you can come back up 264 to 664 and through the portsmouth tunnel and back into Hampton. That's quite a long affair and I would do it on two days, but along the way just make some stops and pick up some of those Home for Sale magazines. Unless you are Military and have a friend with a Helicopter... that would be nice.....

You will think you have been in two different worlds. It's really different and you kinda need to see it and experience it(drive it). Don't speed in James City co and don't get lost in downtown Norfolk. Welcome to VA.. you are going to just loooooooove Tim Kaine. He loves your guns too!

I don't know about down that way but up here near Kings Dominion.. .there is company that works on ARs and does engraving and all that.... It would be a day trip for you but not huge ordeal. I can 't recall their name but if you search for engravers. You mentioned some sort work you wanted done.

Or find those guys in West Point... I can never remember what the name of the place is.. I'm sure they know everyone... they are on the forum here somewhere. the training facility. They have one in west point and I think one in TX? They are bound to know everyone in the region. ETA: these guys..... they will be in your backyard .... http://www.g4siti.com/index.php
    Last edited by tb-av; 02-16-14 at 00:32.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    I fly out next Friday and I'll spend the weekend finding something to buy. I'm fine being out of the city a bit if it means a nicer neighborhood.
    If you want to in the middle of it and a nice place... have you heard of Kingsmill on the James? $200 - $2M. You might want to google that one. that's the big resort, golf, residential, backs to busch gardens, fronts on James river, if you are talking about raise a family, play, go shopping nice,.... that's nice.

the other side of nice down that way,,, for me anyway would be a place on the river or maybe some acreage.... it really depends on what type lifestyle you want.

Feedback Score
    The Lafayette Gun club in York County is really good club. A 24 hour indoor pistol range, and rifle range too. At a very reasonable rate.

The Hampton roads bridge tunnel is hell to navigate at morning and evening rush hours, so don't plan on making that trip without a 30-90 minute slop time for traffic. So Norfolk would be a problem if you're working in Newport News.

The James river bridge is not usually a problem at all, and the newer monitor Merrimac bridge tunnel was not that bad ever when I left.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the 556 guy View Post
    The Lafayette Gun club in York County is really good club. A 24 hour indoor pistol range, and rifle range too. At a very reasonable rate.

The Hampton roads bridge tunnel is hell to navigate at morning and evening rush hours, so don't plan on making that trip without a 30-90 minute slop time for traffic. So Norfolk would be a problem if you're working in Newport News.

The James river bridge is not usually a problem at all, and the newer monitor Merrimac bridge tunnel was not that bad ever when I left.
    The rate is pretty high IMO, especially if you're just signing on for a year. It was something like $400 for new member fees and than an additional 200-300 for yearly dues. Its awesome having a 24 hour pistol range, but the RO schedule for the rifle ranges are volunteer and can be unreliable. Also the fact that they don't allow and steel cased ammo really sucks with ammo situation of the last year. Their restrictions on using a holster are also too strict, especially since they only offer the "certification" 1 day a month - always on the same day at the same time. Not a whole lot of offering.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Also the fact that they don't allow and steel cased ammo really sucks with ammo situation of the last year.
    Pretty much a deal breaker for me. I don't even have any steel cased ammo left, but I can't say I'd jump up in support of stupid rules. Especially with my dollars.

Do they provide a reason for their restriction?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    Pretty much a deal breaker for me. I don't even have any steel cased ammo left, but I can't say I'd jump up in support of stupid rules. Especially with my dollars.

Do they provide a reason for their restriction?
    Has something to do with them having a bi-metal jacket and their no steel core ammo allowed. Not that its the same thing but apparently they don't care. That was the one that really pissed me off.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's looking like driving an hour or more to C2 south of VA Beach is going to be my best bet for long range rifle... I'll admit, I'm shocked at the limited number of ranges.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Once the new Colonial Shooting Academy opens up that will give you a closer option. It won't be a whole lot closer, but I think it'll knock off like half an hour. Looks like it'll be an awesome range too. We are kind of limited on options here, really makes me wish I knew someone with some land in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Alright. Two days in and I have come to a few conclusions.

Housing here is cheaper than I expected. I guess Seattle's prices got me used to paying a lot. Whatever we buy, it will cost less than what I'm used to paying. That's for certain.

There are some really nice neighborhoods tucked into some less nice looking places.

Williamsburg, specifically Holly Hills is the front runner, but we have two days left to go. Today we are checking out some stuff on the water in Hampton.

The drivers here are terrible. Honestly, I have no clue how they possess valid licenses...
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast