Thread: 0-100 yard bench training

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

0-100 yard bench training

I tried the search and only found this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...a-square-range

And that poor guy had even more afforded to him with his square range...

I have a 0-100 yard, outdoor, bench-only, 2 second shot cadence rule, a mile from my house. This is the easiest place for me to shoot and I want to know how to maximize my time when I am there.

I will be taking carbine application classes but for the non course time, I'm wondering what folks do to hone their skills at the bench-rest 100 yard range. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    For rifle I would work on reloads, failures & POA vs POI for the close stuff.

Now handgun I really enjoy taking my time with aimed head shots at 75 with my edc. Of course with target ammo you only get hits ever so often with the same POA. But lots of fun.

I would ask RO/SO's if the range has any kind of matches. Local matches are lots of fun in a dynamic shooting enviroment.
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 02-13-14 at 15:11. Reason: Add about matches

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrygrizzly View Post
    I tried the search and only found this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...a-square-range

And that poor guy had even more afforded to him with his square range...

I have a 0-100 yard, outdoor, bench-only, 2 second shot cadence rule, a mile from my house. This is the easiest place for me to shoot and I want to know how to maximize my time when I am there.

I will be taking carbine application classes but for the non course time, I'm wondering what folks do to hone their skills at the bench-rest 100 yard range. Thanks.
    The biggest thing you could work on is your accuracy (standing). Shoot from all the major positions (low read, high ready, etc). Then, work on 1 and 1 drills (first 1 shot, E-reload, fire one shot). If they allow, you can also work on switching shoulders (firing one round on each shoulder) and transition drills (fire one round in the long gun, bolt locked to the rear, transition to your pistol, one round fired).

C4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

0-100 yard bench training

Thanks for the suggestions guys
    Last edited by Bear1; 02-14-14 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    I know you say bench only but do they let you shoot from standing, prone, kneeling and sitting? If so that is all you need really do for live fire. Take an NRA 100yd bull and only shoot that, you'll be a super star compared to the rest of the folks at a class. The rest of the stuff like reloading, transitioning shoulders, weapons and mounting the rifle can be done at home using dry fire but if you can squeeze those in it wouldn't hurt to live fire as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you are restricted to using the bench, you can do a few things to sharpen your skills.

1) First and foremost is accuracy. Determine what kind of accuracy you can squeeze out of your rifle and ammunition.

2) If you are shooting with iron sights, practice moving your rear sight up 5 clicks, right 5 clicks, down 5 clicks, left 10 clicks, then right 5 clicks to learn how much of a change in the point of impact you will see when using the same point of aim and making sight adjustments. You should strive to shoot small groups at each sight setting. Measure the differences in the point of impact with a ruler to learn what your rifle is actually doing at each sight setting. It's one thing to read about it in a book, but altogether different when you actually experience the process. You would be surprised at how many people are afraid to touch their sights after the rifle is zeroed and this drill should help you overcome that fear.

3) Shoot off both sides during your practice sessions. Shoulder the weapon on your support side, then shoulder the weapon on your strong side.

4) If you are required to be seated, elevate your upper body so that the weapon and no part of your body touches the bench. The only support you should have is being seated. Practice shooting off both sides from the seated position with emphasis on using your skeletal system for support. Then square your shoulders and hips toward the target and practice shooting with your support hand pushed as far forward as you can on the handguards.

5) Practice trigger manipulation. Try shooting with the tip of your trigger finger touching the trigger, shoot with the pad of your finger opposite the quick of the fingernail touching the trigger, then shoot with the crease at the first distal joint of the trigger finger touching the right side of the trigger when you shoot. You should be able to find a sweet spot on your trigger finger that will allow you to shoot accurately. After you develop your trigger manipulation skills, you may find that you index one part of the trigger finger on the trigger to make a precision shot, then index on another part of the trigger finger to fire quickly with reasonable accuracy.

6) Find a shooting buddy to train with regularly. Place targets of different geometric shapes on the target board and take turns calling out different shapes to be shot under time. Your shooting buddy can also help you push yourself a little more through friendly competition.

Being on a very restrictive range can be frustrating, but you can do some things to develop your shooting skills.
    Last edited by T2C; 02-14-14 at 08:52.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the suggestions T2C. I am bench restricted. No standing kneeling nor prone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk