Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glass For 7.62 AR.

Feedback Score
    Paul,
    I am in no way an expert in this area, so I'd start off by asking what do you intend to use the AR10 for? What kind of targets do you intend to shoot the AR10 at? What ranges will you most likely use the AR10?

I have a US made Countersniper 4-16X that I bought at a very good price for my Noveske N4 5.56 "tack drivers." However, while an excellent optic it is probably too much scope for almost all serious applications even for 7.62X51. A rule of thumb for most combat application optics regarding magnification is +1 for every 100 yards from the target, ie. 2X for 200 yards, 3X for 300 yards, 4X for 400 yards etc. Having said that, I have also shot iron sights on 20" targets at 500 yards (going 10 for 10) and 12" targets with an Aimpoint Micro T-1 & 3X magnifier at 600 yards (going 5 for 5).

As previously stated there is a science and an art for the proper application of a quality magnified optic for "sniper" or designated marksmen missions. If you decide to go that route taking a quality Precision Rifle class at reputible fighting firearms school like Gunsite, etc. is highly recommended.

S/F

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FJB View Post
    Paul,

If you decide to go that route taking a quality Precision Rifle class at reputible fighting firearms school like Gunsite, etc. is highly recommended.

S/F

Well there is a Gunsite Hills here, and I am definitely going to take a class SOMEWHERE eventually.
    I certainly am not shooting benchrest competitions, so the pop up targets/etc out to 600 and maybe even 800 yds will be what I'm shooting at.
    Basically, I want to see what this AR10 can do, and I want to set up a typical SASS type 7.62x51 weapon.
    I plan on shooting everything I can with it, and doing all that I can with it.
    Of course, the 600+ yd targets will probably not be the norm, but I certainly want the capability to shoot them if the present themselves.
    For financial reasons alone, I'm thinking the Leupold Mk4 is probably the route to go. However, that could change though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12