Thread: Improperly Modified Barrel Lengths

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Improperly Modified Barrel Lengths

An interesting article on DCI (Division of Criminal Investigations) improperly modifying barrel lengths of their service weapons. I wonder if the "good faith" excuse would fly for the average Joe.
    A former state Department of Justice drug agent accused his colleagues last year of illegally modifying their state-issued rifles, according to emails the agency released Thursday...

Bethards wrote in a January 2013 email to DCI Administrator Dave Matthews that multiple agents were shortening the barrels on their state-issued and personal rifles without registering the modifications with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Bethards didn't name any agents but alleged multiple agents were guilty of federal felonies…

The gun was reconfigured to conform with ATF regulations and no one was disciplined, she said.

"The facts in this matter convinced us (the) agent had acted in 'good faith' and inadvertently violated compliance regulations," Brueck said. "We brought the matter to the ATF's attention, and it was immediately remedied."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I bet this happens quite a bit. SBR being an NFA characteristic is fukking retarded.

Remember that corrupt chicago ex Police officer who murdered a few of his wives? They let that piece of shit off for having an illegal SBR and he wasn't even still a cop as I recall....

Same B.S. excuse... he used it for duty back when he was a cop.
    Last edited by markm; 02-17-14 at 09:45.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I bet this happens quite a bit.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Absolutely ridiculous... Pretty sure that the average joe wouldn't have the ATF looking the other way with a 15.9" barrel. What I don't understand is, isn't DOJ/DEA is perfectly fine with SBRs, so long as the paperwork is done? (granted, the issue of making modifications to an issues weapon is another deal entirely, I'm just curious as far as the NFA mods are concerned)
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Personally, I think the whole SBR thing is ridiculous and if one chooses to run a 3" barrel, or a 36" for that matter, then have at it.

I'm just not down for the hypocrisy.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous... Pretty sure that the average joe wouldn't have the ATF looking the other way with a 15.9" barrel.
    While I don't know what 0.1" earns you from the Feds, I do know 0.25" gets your wife and son murdered and dog slain.

http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/ruby2.html

Weaver had been approached by an informant to the BATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) to sell him sawed off shot-guns. Weaver apparently relented after several times telling the informant no. He sold two shot-guns to the informant in October of 1989. The shot guns sold to the informant according to the FBI were a mere 1/4" short of the legal barrel length for shot-guns. Weaver contends they were perfectly legal at the time he sold them to the informant.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    But Hussein would never abuse power and kill Americans. I trust him.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v