Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Essentials List

Feedback Score
    Don't overlook the ordinary stuff you use everyday. How much toothpaste and toilet paper have you got?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A Gerber and hundred mile per hour tape. Good to go.

That being said, your number one priority should be water. You can live without food, guns, bullets, and eveything else. You will die from a lack of water first. That doesn't necessarily mean storing it but having a way to procure and filter it is just as good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A Gerber and hundred mile per hour tape. Good to go.

That being said, your number one priority should be water. You can live without food, guns, bullets, and eveything else. You will die from a lack of water first. That doesn't necessarily mean storing it but having a way to procure and filter it is just as good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I agree. Make a list:
    1. Food
    2. Water
    3. Cooking
    4. Firearms
    5. Ammo
    ...........and so on. You get the idea and make a list and start to check them off as you get them. Write it all down. That way you can look at it and figure out how you want to prioritize the list in each category. Make sure that it is a well rounded list. As stated above. If you have nothing but guns and ammo.....you are going to get real hungry real fast.
    I agree on the list. Next would be amounts of supplies before the item gets checked off. One you go through he entire list start back at the top and do it again.

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    -fire extinguisher within 10' of any given place in the entire house, and easy to grab in a hurry.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hatidua View Post
    -fire extinguisher within 10' of any given place in the entire house, and easy to grab in a hurry.
    Hell I have that just because of my kids.......
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    toilet paper. lots of toilet paper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaWoodsman View Post
    Don't overlook the ordinary stuff you use everyday. How much toothpaste and toilet paper have you got?
    Eh...you can go a really long time without either of those.

Buy water, containers to hold it that you can refill, and containers to carry it with you. Pick up a few gallons here and there if you see them on sale.

Food, buy slow processing high calorie foods. Two scoops of rice (before it's cooked) and a can of Hormel chili and beans can feed you and your family for a day...and you don't need to eat every day. You would be amazed how much you can do on a 600-800 calorie a day diet, and I doubt you would be pushing the limit on activity. Unless you're planning to patrol several (20+) miles a day.

Radios. To communicate and to listen to what's going on around you. You could get a HAM, but those are often a waste. Grab an Icom and learn to scan, even crypto has it's flaws.

Make sure your weapons are capable of doing the things you can't do on your own. You don't NEED an RDS to shoot, that's a relatively new concept given the length of time they weren't common. You do need a flashlight to illuminate your target (ID), you may very likely need magnification for observation. And don't worry if you don't have pallets of ammo.

A harem of women. Make sure they are all compatible. Scrape your local bars and hangouts and conduct an aggressive FID campaign to find like minded women. They are often better at communicating and approaching tasks with organization, they are great at manipulating men with guns, and nobody suspects a woman. Plus...apocalypse times are lonely times. You'll get tired of making love to yourself long before you run out of chow and ammo.

Medical supplies. Imodium or die. Charcoal solution. Learn to run an IV into yourself..well...do that at your own risk. When living in less than sanitary conditions or eating questionable foods, your stomach is the first to go. Get painkillers of all levels. Penicillin when available. Sudafed to prevent major sinus infections. And...

Booze. The devils nectar. Bartering tool worth more than the gold/silver you were so sure about. Chances are if I see someone trying to carve me off a piece of their gold brick that looks like an entire 401k in a sack, I'll just take the whole thing. Yeah..it's not going to be pretty. Judge me if you want. And when you combine the booze with your harem of wimminz, you're more likely to have a good time.

Who says the economic collapse can't be a good time?
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    Now, to be fair, all I've ever learned about survival I saw in a movie. And it wasn't a particularly good movie. I've never actually had to live off the land or anything...I just read a lot.
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    It may seem overly simplistic, but when I think "Essentials" I think of the basics and the thoughts about what I'd be more likely to need. Supplies to get through a couple weeks with no power in the summer would be a good thing in Florida. Having to deal with snow and ice . . . not so big of an issue. My thoughts on it are sitting down to look at it from, "What do I have and what would I need to get to [a week/two weeks/a month/90 days/etc]." And going from there.

I think this is the second thread I've brought this podcaster up, but Jack Spirko did a "Zero to Prepared" show that covered a lot of start-up stuff and broke stuff down into 6-ish big groups: Food, Water, Energy, Shelter, Security, Sanitation/Health. The episodes are pretty decent and I took a few things away from it and started reevaluating some of my stuff around the house (Energy and Sanitation/Health are lacking a bit).

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/ep...e-and-low-cost
    http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/ze...repared-part-2
    Last edited by cougar_guy04; 04-18-14 at 22:29.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast