Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home Essentials List

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here's a website that can help you with your preparation. There are links with equipment lists covering various scenarios whether you're a home owner, boater, pilot, etc. You can adjust the type and quantity to suit your specific needs.

http://www.equipped.com/

Though some of the equipment lists are rather extensive, you'd be surprised how much you probably already have. Just a matter of getting it all together to have it readily available when needed. Some examples,

http://www.equipped.com/earthqk.htm

http://www.equipped.com/72hourkit.htm

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Very well run forums as well. Very similar, congenial, feel as this one. Not too much useless bickering.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
    Eh...you can go a really long time without either of those.

Buy water, containers to hold it that you can refill, and containers to carry it with you. Pick up a few gallons here......
    You ever had to live without those things? It's a pain in the ass, literally. Sure you can do without toothpaste, but if helps prevent cavities that lead to screwed up teeth that leads to seeing a "post apocalyptic dentist" you will probably live a little better. I think I'll grab an extra tube when I'm in the store. And soap, staying clean is huge in preventing disease and infection.

Now my contribution is BEER. I need to learn to home brew.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    You ever had to live without those things?
    Yes. For a long enough time, while appreciating the few items I did mention. Both can be easily replaced, sometimes better, with things you already have plenty of.

They belong on the list. Just not at the top.
    Last edited by SOW_0331; 04-20-14 at 00:27.
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
    Now, to be fair, all I've ever learned about survival I saw in a movie. And it wasn't a particularly good movie. I've never actually had to live off the land or anything...I just read a lot.
    That's sig line material right there!

Feedback Score
    Personal sanitation is so important. A gun won't help you when you are violently ill. Everybody who hasn't gone backpacking in the wilderness for at least week do yourself a favor and go. Let us know of your experience when you return.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    You ever had to live without those things? It's a pain in the ass, literally. Sure you can do without toothpaste, but if helps prevent cavities that lead to screwed up teeth that leads to seeing a "post apocalyptic dentist" you will probably live a little better. I think I'll grab an extra tube when I'm in the store. And soap, staying clean is huge in preventing disease and infection.

Now my contribution is BEER. I need to learn to home brew.
    I think making whiskey would be much easier...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Final thoughts

◾There are 52 weeks in a year, one thing a week makes a big impact
    I can attest to this point made by the arthur. I always make it a point to pick up something everytime we make our weekly shopping trip. Watch sale ads, use manufacture coupons, et al. One week it may be redundant batteries, toilet paper, beans, bandages, et al. . . . it all adds up.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Is bottled water good to store up? I have tons of that. Well not tons but a lot sitting around. I just built some nice industrial shelving that is just waiting to be stocked full of food, water, and anything else I need. Going to even store some of my bags on it. Right now I am working on just saving up lots of canned foods and water. It's going to be a pain in the ass since I have 5 little mouths to feed not including the wifey and puppy. I didn't see any mention, but wouldn't it be wise to store up some medications too? Just basics especially if you have kids.
    Last edited by St.Michael; 08-25-14 at 08:44.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Michael View Post
    Right now I am working on just saving up lots of canned foods and water. It's going to be a pain in the ass since I have 5 little mouths to feed not including the wifey and puppy.
    Are you stocking freeze drieds? Those have a monumentally longer shelf life than regular canned foods.

MRE depot is a good place to pick up stuff... He gets good gov overuns on nice stash items from time to time.. freeze dried pork chops, etc. Mountainhouse bagged and canned freeze drieds are easy to stash away.

The large cans of freeze dried meals/veggies/Powdered eggs, etc make a lot of sense for as many as you're looking to provide for.
    Last edited by markm; 08-25-14 at 09:46.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast