Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt 38 Super Build

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've got a 5" Springfield Armory 38 Super that Frank Glenn built. 20LPI checkering, Bomar w/fiber optic front, beavertail, nice trigger, etc. Shoots like a dream. The cartridge can be fun to experiment with. One of my shooting mentors when I was a kid was extremely fond of the Super and carried a LW Commander so chambered. He was extraordinarily concerned about good auto body penetration. He never shared with me whether this was based on an incident or just something he wished to be prepared for.

I'll get a picture attached later. Frank Glenn does top-notch work.

Rosco
    Last edited by Rosco Benson; 02-21-14 at 15:11. Reason: added photo

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I must say, that looks excellent!

Feedback Score
    I shoot one, new Colt. It is a joy. Still working up more loads, I have only been loading 125gr Lrn so far. Experimenting with N105.
    Last edited by Corse; 03-08-14 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    .38 super is a great caliber, had a chance to buy one many years ago and passed on it " oh they'll be around and I'll get one later". well later never came and I'm still sorry I didn't pick up that Colt.
    There are only 2 things we should fight for. One is defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights.

Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC

Feedback Score
    I had a STI Trojan in .38 super, one of the most accurate, flat shooting pistols I've ever had the pleasure to fire. It was a casualty of my divorce
    but I will have another.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
    I had a STI Trojan in .38 super, one of the most accurate, flat shooting pistols I've ever had the pleasure to fire. It was a casualty of my divorce
    but I will have another.
    Colt must have done a run of blue supers. I am seeing more out in the wild these days. Now if people will just start leaving more .38 super brass on the ground...

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I thought I'd update this, since I'm actually out shooting this thing on a regular basis. I now have 495 rounds through this pistol, and I'm really liking it. I feed it with Tripp Research magazines and I think they're worth the money, as I've had 0 problems. The only think I've replaced since I started the thread was putting in a Wilson Combat 15 pound recoil spring in. The stock 14 pound one seemed light based on how far the brass was flying. Also, with the 14 pound spring, the slide seemed a tad sluggish, and with the 15 pound one it feels like it times and cycles better. I've started this pistol shooting at these weekly pistol&carbine shoots, so I expect to get some decent mileage out of it this summer. Lastly, I weighed the trigger, and it's right at 4 1/4 pounds. I'm interested in seeing if the trigger weights drops to 4 pounds after a couple thousand rounds.

Feedback Score
    I don't know why but .38 super screams hard chrome to me, interesting choice on parkerizing

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Am I the only one here that shoots 38 Super in a non-race gun?
    .38 super has more or less died as a race gun cartridge...

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by teutonicpolymer View Post
    I don't know why but .38 super screams hard chrome to me, interesting choice on parkerizing

.38 super has more or less died as a race gun cartridge...
    It was parkerized for the intent of being rebuilt and finished with something nicer one day. I didn't expect to get it perfect on the first go around, so I picked the cheaper of the available finishes. When it has enough rounds through it and it needs a new extractor, it'll go back for maintenance and get a few upgrades per trip back. Checkering and raising the front strap, a more visible front sight, and a wider thumb safety come to mind. I'll probably pick a neat finish somewhere down the road.

Also, I know absolutely nothing about race guns. I've just read about them a few times, but the only time I usually see 38 Super talked about is usually concerning raceguns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    It was parkerized for the intent of being rebuilt and finished with something nicer one day. I didn't expect to get it perfect on the first go around, so I picked the cheaper of the available finishes. When it has enough rounds through it and it needs a new extractor, it'll go back for maintenance and get a few upgrades per trip back. Checkering and raising the front strap, a more visible front sight, and a wider thumb safety come to mind. I'll probably pick a neat finish somewhere down the road.

Also, I know absolutely nothing about race guns. I've just read about them a few times, but the only time I usually see 38 Super talked about is usually concerning raceguns.
    Good update. Glad to see the gun is superb. My Colt just finished at Wilson - awaiting it's delivery

NP3 Plus would look so nice on your 38 super..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast