Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Colt 38 Super Build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Ensure that your barrel headspaces on the mouth, not the rim.
    Colt stopped headspacing at the rim some time ago, not sure of the year but someone in the know will chime in I'm sure.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Colt switched barrels to headspace on case mouth, rather than semi rim- ca. 1985.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Colt switched barrels to headspace on case mouth, rather than semi rim- ca. 1985.
    Thanks and wow! That was fast..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Thanks and wow! That was fast..

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Blind pig/acorn deal. ( :
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I was searching for .38 super on line and didn't find anything that said buy me now.

But I have a question, is a 9mm 1911 able to convert to .38 super?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I was searching for .38 super on line and didn't find anything that said buy me now.

Certainly.

Need a barrel.

Extractor; which may, or may not need to be "tweaked" (same extractor).
    (The "semi-rimmed Super case is a bit larger in diameter than the rimless 9mm. A 9mm slide/extractor may have too much extractor tension with the Super cartridge. It is possible to adjust extractor tension so both cartridges will function- and is possible that it may function with zero adjustment. Like nearly all parts on a 1911 the extractor is not a "drop in" part, but must be fitted to slide.)

Ejector trimmed to allow longer case to eject.

I've converted a couple 9mm 1911's to Super and/or switch caliber guns: 9mm/Super.

Add: Magazines of course.
    Last edited by gaijin; 01-03-20 at 08:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post

I got mine from my LGS for a good price because they couldn't sell it. After I bought it they told me they had a bunch of Remington 130gr. MC .38 super auto to go with it so bought 'em out at Armscore pricing. I haven't seen one since in any LGS I've been too.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    The cartridge overall length of 38 Super does make it easier to see up for reliability. That said, one of my long term plans is dropping a 9mm barrel into my 38 Super and shooting the tar out of it. It's a great shooter.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I'll admit to being anal as hell about how my handguns are set up.

My first experience with a 9mm/Super switch barrel gun was less than satisfying.
    While function was spot on, the POA/POI issue with the two cartridges was different enough I was never happy with the concept. I am a "POI right on top of FS (blade/Patridge), or to center of F.O. Dot" guy.

Minor, or "range" 9mm loads shot to substantially different point of impact than the low end .357 mag power Super loads.
    With adjustable rear sight it was obviously simple to adjust sight when I changed barrels/calibers- but what a pain in the ass.
    Fixed RS was an insurmountable problem, unless groups impacting in a 3" to 4" radius with both calibers was sufficient.

I wanted a Super for what it was developed for; to shoot 130 gr+- bullets at 1300 +- FPS.
    I carry 147 GD's loaded to 1250 FPS.
    It is comforting carrying a 10 or 11 rd, easy to shoot, low end .357 powered, single action semi auto.

I settled on two slides for the same receiver; one set up for the 9mm barrel, one for the super.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast