Thread: sighting Crimson Trace grips...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

sighting Crimson Trace grips...

im thinking of getting one for my new Glock 19 thats on the way(although the switch doesnt seem the best on the Glock models).

the LaserMax fans seem to make a big deal about the CTC being "off axis"?

im just wondering what range most folks sight at and the difference this makes at varying ranges?

for example if you sight at 20'...will you be very far left of the dot at say 5',or right of the dot at 30',etc?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I zero mine for 25 yards. You'll have to get out and learn the offset at various ranges, but it isnt that bad at 25 and under. Hell, it really wasnt that bad to me out as far as 50-65 yards.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    i didnt think there would be much variation at realistic pistol ranges,just seems to be alot of fuss over the issue with some.

IIRC the LM can be off by up to 2" right from the jump(?)...

ToddG Guest
    I usually zero mine at 15yd. That makes them within 1" POA out to 30yd and around 2" at 50yd, not accounting for bullet trajectory. Which is better than a Lasermax is going to be, and you can't zero most Lasermax lasers.

The farther out you zero them, assuming you can get a good zero, the less offset you have to deal with in general but the more you'll be off at closer ranges. I used to use 25yd, but settled on 15yd as a better compromise for my expected use. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    excellent...

doesnt sound like it will be much of an issue at all(as i suspected).

thanks guys.

i guess my only reservation now is the switch on the Glock models.

ToddG Guest
    Yeah, I'd say the Glock model Lasergrips are just about the worst ones they make. I'd expect to see a new & improved model at SHOT next year.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I zeroed at ~15 yards. I was concerned with axis and all that at first, but then another issue popped up for me. I wanted the dot zeroed as far out as I could but without interfering with the sight picture. In daylight this isn't much of an issue. In low light, I learned that the dot will play hell with my eyes if I'm trying to get a normal sight picture.

So 15 yards or so is as far out as I can get it.

ToddG Guest
    Different strokes. After 10 years of using Lasergrips, and having tried the boreline parallel approach, I find having the dot zeroed in both axes makes for less thought process. I agree that crossover happens, but if I'm zeroed at 25 yd that means I'm within half an inch (within your constant offset) out to 50yd. And in between the extremes (0 and 50), my margin of error is less than 0.5 inches. Even with my 15yd zero, my lateral offset is going to be about an inch at 50yd ... still well within, as you said, what is "absorbed" by group size at that range.

Unlike with a long gun, handgun ranges and handgun accuracy tend to cancel out offset.

Both methods will certainly work on the handgun. Seriously, my debate here becomes about half an inch at 25yd.