Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the M4C consensus on Savage rifles?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question What's the M4C consensus on Savage rifles?

I'm just curious what the M4C readership thinks.

What immediately comes to mind is an entry level to mid-grade rifle for hunting.

Maybe a step up from (newish) Remington and Ruger stuff quality wise. Obviously can't touch the custom builders.

I've found fit and finish to be ... ok. Actually not bad for the price. But this was just gleaned from handling a few at the LGS.

How is accuracy and shootability? Why would I want to buy one?
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I bought one of the model 10 "hog" rifles. It has done everything i have asked it to do. It's not as smooth, or accurate as my 700, but for 1/3 the price i can't complain! For the money they are a great working man's rifle.

Both chambered in .308 the savage will average about .8-1" groups with 168gr match hand loads. The 700 is almost always under .5" with the same load, as long as i do my part!

Like i said, for the money, it's hard to beat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    President of Trigon Armament Inc.

FFL-07 SOT-02

AR-15 Armorer

Competitive Shooter

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Plenty of people will be along to bash them soon enough, but I'll offer this:
    If you want an out of the box shooter that doesn't need EVERYTHING upgraded to make it usable and one that has a decent barrel & trigger to begin with, Savage is your friend.

Not as much aftermarket support and some people don't care for the design of the action.

I've had great luck with mine, for a budget shooter. <$1200 invested total setup.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Accuracy on the Savage rifles is normally good to very good. The downside is that as you have noticed the finish is normally just okay and the actions are not the smoothest on the market. Pricing is usually very good. For a working gun that you have no problems dragging trough the woods or a truck gun they really can't be beat.

ETA: The triggers (accutrigger) are usually more than acceptable right out of the box. The same can not be said for many of the Remingtons I've handled in recent years.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So as a better alternative to Remington and Ruger off the shelf, I guess this brand is rightly a mid-tier/value brand.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post
    So as a better alternative to Remington and Ruger off the shelf, I guess this brand is rightly a mid-tier/value brand.
    If I were on a budget (I am) and going to shoot it bone stock, out of box, and leave it that way, I'd personally take a Savage. If I had plans to do more down the road, probably a Remington or even a Tikka.

That's just an opinion, but even savage haters generally admit they have pretty acceptable barrels & triggers bone stock.

Ymmv.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ive owned a few Savages and all of them were good to great shooters. I do prefer Remington though but that's mostly a personal thing. I may buy another Savage as a hunting gun.

From what Ive read here is the "Savage bashers" are mostly critical of the action design. Some say it wont last as long as a Remington or Winchester action. I have no personal experience with that as my personal Savages had maybe 1000 rounds fired between the three of them. Also they say that the Accutrigger design is susceptible to failure which locks up the trigger system. Again I have no experience with this.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I've killed many a deer with a savage with a redfield scope mounted on it. If you want to hunt and its all you can afford it will serve you well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Also they say that the Accutrigger design is susceptible to failure which locks up the trigger system.
    Like the Remingtons aren't? Haven't seen savage on dateline.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only thing savage has going for it is user switchable barrels.

Tikka is a superior rifle in every way for the same price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast