Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEO's I have a question for you

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We are issue a G26 to back up our G17. We also issue a Galco Ankle Glove for the G26. The back up is supposed to be worn on duty.
    Last edited by joe138; 02-20-14 at 18:09. Reason: Tense

Feedback Score
    When I first started nearly 25 years ago the practice was strongly encouraged starting in the academy and then peer pressure in patrol.
    Now it seems like very few of the guys carry them and very little emphasis during the academy or once you hit the streets for their use.
    Not sure what happened but if I was still in patrol I would still carry.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I carried one in patrol. The department doesn't issue one and you have to qualify with it the same as your primary. It also had to come from a small selection of weapons and had to be one of the two issued rounds for duty.

I no longer carry one due to the position I am in. If we are out doing something, it's in full kit with a full team.
    "My craving is, and always has been, to be involved in actions conducted to ensure America remains strong, safe, and free of those who have its destruction as their goal."
    - Billy Waugh

"When you enter a room full of armed men, shoot the first person who moves, hostile or otherwise. He has started to think and is therefore dangerous."
    - Robert "Paddy" Mayne

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Permitted by my department. The weapon has to come from an approved list, which is pretty wide ranging, and the individual officer must provide ammo for any non issued caliber. You can carry more than one, but all backup weapons must be concealed.

I always carried a backup when in uniform, and encouraged my guys to do the same. I also carried spare ammo for my second, figuring if it becomes my primary I would want a reload available.

I have noticed lately that younger officers need to be talked into a backup a little more than when I came on. I do not know if this is primarily financial, if it is not being pushed during academy training, or if the ever increasing amount of gear that officers are expected to carry discourages carry of a second firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BUG always. No exceptions. BUGs are organizationally encouraged, some might call it brow-beating. Issue or allowance to purchase same is a goal. Calibers .380/.38spl and up, quality manufacture, demonstrated proficiency and knowledge with the gun required on an established course of fire. All ammo provided for practice and carry. If you have other OD guns, that ammo and opportunity to shoot them is provided too.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I most always carry one. My employer allows it as long as it's one of those in the approved list. Qualification course is the same as for primary handgun, and intervals are the same. LE managers and policy makers who prohibit BUGs are most likely hoplophobic. While most of those I work with have a smaller pistol that meets the BUG requirements, quite a few prefer to carry them in lieu of the primary handgun rather than back up because of the size and weight.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    G-26 in a Galco Ankle Glove to back up the G-21. Dept. doesn't issue BUG, but you can carry so long as you qualify on the same course as the duty gun.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Yes. Glock 27
    BUGs were banned for a while early in my career because of the last generation of guys . Policy was eventually drafted that responded to the concerns of the admins and they've been authorized again for about the last 15 years

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I carry a G26 as a BUG. BUGs must be approved (by me ) and ammunition is issued if it is the same caliber as the department's issued pistol. If the caliber is not the same, that also must be approved.
    Qualification is required also. Qualification requires officers to draw BUG from where they carry the weapon on duty. (EX.)If you carry it on the ankle, you draw from the ankle during qualification.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I admit I am very new, my tag should say "serving since yesterday." I'll reconsider carrying my g26 but I'll have to get a better holster than my desantis apache.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast