Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glocks need cleaning too

Feedback Score
    Years ago (late 70s and early 80s) as a young cop, I got into the habit of on my last day off to clean, function test and relube my duty gun (1911), shine my duty shoes and gun leather (and it was leather back then!) and to make sure I had my uniforms and gear squared away. It served the multiple purposes of taking care of appearances, making sure equipment was servicable and getting my mind ready to go back and take care of business the next day.

Even though today's pistols may not need that level of care, it's always a good thing to know the status of your lifesaving gear. Based on that, our hero should've known about this mess no longer than one WEEK after it happened.

And, if he was going through a "nasty divorce" (which I can empathize with), why in hell did the soon to be ex-spouse have access to ANY of his guns?

Feedback Score
    I wonder if the old lube was petrified OLD Tetra-a generation or so back, that stuff had a really rancid odor right out of the applicator...

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    When I worked at Beretta we had a very interesting cop gun maintenance issue come up. A sheriff's department in one of the Carolinas sent a 90-series pistol back to us with a nasty letter from the Sheriff. The gun was issued to a deputy and when he showed up for annual qualification, the gun didn't work. The trigger wouldn't move, the safety lever wouldn't move, the slide couldn't be retracted, the magazine couldn't be removed ... it was like the pistol was a block of stone.

The Sheriff blamed Beretta, saying that there must be something wrong with the finish that reacted to some cleaning solvent.

First, I brought the gun to our gunsmiths. They looked at it and couldn't get it apart or get any moving parts working. So next, I brought it to the training director, who worked for me. He and I called the Sheriff to figure out if they'd used some WD40 drained from a patrol car as lube or something.

While we're on the phone, one of the gunsmiths ran into the office with the frame of the gun. They finally had to pound it apart with a mallet. There's this dry white film covering every single inch of the interior.

"It almost looks like someone superglued the gun," I said joking.

After a pause, the Sheriff says, "Well, ole Joe is going through a pretty nasty divorce ..."

Yup. Ole Joe's (now ex-) wife had injected superglue into every hole, crevice ... every opening she could find. And she'd done it eight months ago. This guy had been on patrol, on calls, on the street with a bookend for eight months.

His wife was charged with attempted murder.
    Whoa.
    Don't forget to show my head to the people. It's well worth seeing.
    -Georges Danton

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Attempted murder!!! I can't imagine they made that stick. Still, what a cow!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It's really sad to see some guns and hear of stories like this, but it's so true. I hear some people say " I only clean my Glocks when they stop working" One of the dumb things your hear.

They best one I have is I guy shows up at the range with his SW 6946(what we had at the time) I asked what he needs and he goes " well last month I had to jump into the ocean to help with a swimmer" (he's on ATV Patrol) Of course, I already know what I'm in for. He never even took the thing out of his holster. It took me a few days to get it all apart, replaced all of the internals and keep it as a range gun since it had some pitting here and there.

He said he didn't think it would be harmed since it was stainless. stain-less

I had to look at him and actually say you're a f'g retard.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    When I worked at Beretta we had a very interesting cop gun maintenance issue come up. A sheriff's department in one of the Carolinas sent a 90-series pistol back to us with a nasty letter from the Sheriff. The gun was issued to a deputy and when he showed up for annual qualification, the gun didn't work. The trigger wouldn't move, the safety lever wouldn't move, the slide couldn't be retracted, the magazine couldn't be removed ... it was like the pistol was a block of stone.

The Sheriff blamed Beretta, saying that there must be something wrong with the finish that reacted to some cleaning solvent.

First, I brought the gun to our gunsmiths. They looked at it and couldn't get it apart or get any moving parts working. So next, I brought it to the training director, who worked for me. He and I called the Sheriff to figure out if they'd used some WD40 drained from a patrol car as lube or something.

While we're on the phone, one of the gunsmiths ran into the office with the frame of the gun. They finally had to pound it apart with a mallet. There's this dry white film covering every single inch of the interior.

"It almost looks like someone superglued the gun," I said joking.

After a pause, the Sheriff says, "Well, ole Joe is going through a pretty nasty divorce ..."

Yup. Ole Joe's (now ex-) wife had injected superglue into every hole, crevice ... every opening she could find. And she'd done it eight months ago. This guy had been on patrol, on calls, on the street with a bookend for eight months.

His wife was charged with attempted murder.

That is absolutely amazing.

FYI: Ex-wives or soon-to-be ex-wives are the devil.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123