Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian Primer .223 Test

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The whole point of the Russian primers is to reduce SDs. I'd expect massive SD numbers with Mil primers.

Also... Are you adding a light crimp? Although unrelated to your cyclic issue, that cut my group sized in half for my process.
    I did run a slight crimp on a few batches but I haven't tested those for accuracy yet. Yesterday was a velocity only test. I need warmer weather for the accuracy thing.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The one other thing I want to try is a different crimp method. I want to see if adding ANY crimp helps, or if it's specifically the LEE FCD.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    They are made at the same factory, but that in no way indicates that they ARE the same.

http://www.mpzflame.ru/production/primers/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yep. Seems like the WOLF SRMs and the TULA which both have a green priming compound perform almost the same. The Wolf .223 primers have a copper colored compound and definitely yielded a different velocity.

I'd take any of the three.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Couple quick points to add to Marks report. The squares on that Target are one inch squares. Making several of those clearly SUB MOA. And two of those groups if you take out the one "flier" you have sub 1/2 MOA group. The flier might be the load or the nut behind the trigger? That makes that an impressive load.

I took my gas gun with bergara 16 inch barrel and shot almost as good. MOA was the norm but a little more opened up. I shot the groups pretty quickly and a lesser scope, so I'm sure the user error played into it. But I wanted to make sure the loads shot well out of more than one gun. Because the hallmark of this load, is it shoots great in many different guns.

H322 is for 69 and 77 grain loads. Not light bullets. Just a thought in case you want to use H322.

Those Tula passed the test.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-25-14 at 00:43.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Did you measure the velocity out of the 16 inch gas gun? I just scored some h322, and I've had some tula primers laying around for a while. I'm anxious to try the combo out this spring.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Not this time, but have in the past
    69g SMK'S 2697 fps
    77g SMK'S 2527 fps
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Did you measure the velocity out of the 16 inch gas gun? I just scored some h322, and I've had some tula primers laying around for a while. I'm anxious to try the combo out this spring.
    Don't take crimp for granted. Everyone's load is unique to their equipment and technique of course.... but crimp made all the difference in the world in my process.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Don't take crimp for granted. Everyone's load is unique to their equipment and technique of course.... but crimp made all the difference in the world in my process.
    Will crimping effect pressure? I'm going to work my way up to the 21.8 (it will be in a 5.56 gun, so I'm not overly concerned, but still, I always error on the side of caution when I'm reloading). But once I verify that load is safe in my gun is there any reason to back it down a little as I test the crimp, then work my way back up with the crimp I settle on?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've not found one single scrap of evidence to suggest that a normal crimp impacts pressure at all to the point of spiking velocity. With a match bullet you're going to want to crimp lightly enought that you don't deform the bullet anyway.

And I've gone a good bit over the max of 21.8 without getting pressure signs. I can't remember the exact load, and would have to work up all over again to develop it. Our hot Mk 262 wannabee load uses XBR. H322 is faster than XBR, so I feel a little better going 5.56 pressure with the slightly slower XBR powder.... but pumping up the H322 a little bit is still a goal.
    Last edited by markm; 02-25-14 at 08:47.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast