Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian Primer .223 Test

Feedback Score
    I've noticed similar results using Wolf SRMs and Tula 223Ms with H322, Varget, and RamShot TAC. They're very consistant and given the price, a great value.

One thing of note, these primers and H335 do not mix. I was getting hangfires with this combo that I would not get with CCI #41 or 400 primers. Needless to say, I pulled all of these loads and didn't mess with it again. No such issues with the above mentioned powders though.
    Last edited by thecolter; 02-25-14 at 14:14.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... I ditched H335 for that reason. The primers are more valuable to me, by far, than H335.

In fact. I don't have any ball powder anymore.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah... I ditched H335 for that reason. The primers are more valuable to me, by far, than H335.

In fact. I don't have any ball powder anymore.
    I don't use 335 any longer either.

I found it odd that no such issue existed with the Ramshot TAC as it is also a ball powder. The SRM / 223M with TAC combo works great. I use that load for my cost effective practice ammo without issues.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Likewise, CFE and W748 would work fine with the Russian primers.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A quick update: I was using CCI #41 for the same load in markm's OP & for the life of me, couldn't get them to cycle reliably or lock back. Major short stroking issues. I was using a 20" BCM SS410 with an A5H2. I received some Tula KVB-5.56M primers and loaded some test rounds. Every round cycled properly and the bolt locked back on the last round. I was pretty surprised to see that the primers had that much of an impact on the cycling issues. The #41's apparently didn't play well with H322 for me.
    I didn't test with the chrono but I'd suspect the results would've been similar to markm's. I did find that the 21.8 load had a slightly tighter group than the 21.6 loads.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That is very interesting. I wonder if the CCIs weren't getting an early spike in pressure. It's like the Russian primers give off a more steady and consistent powder burn.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, I'm really surprised about it. The loads were identical in every way except for the primer. It was slightly warmer outside while doing my testing but other than that, all conditions were the same. Night and day difference in performance. I can't totally wrap my head around it.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    IIRC, I read something somewhere that said a colder primer is better for developing an accuracy load. this was not specific to the 223/556 but it is something I have always simply accepted. do you find this to be true?..
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I read a comment from German Salazar in reference to .308 Palma where he said the primers were like Little Red Ridinghood.... they can either be too hot, too cold, or just right.

Too cold, and obviously they're not reliably igniting, hang fires, etc. Too hot and you see the bigger pressure swings and corresponding group sizes.

Salazar went on to cite the guys using primers that were too hot in the Palma brass and negating the benefit. So yeah... there's something to that.

I want to try the revolver test where you can just run the primers in some .38 spl brass with no powder or projectile.... then shoot them in a low light environment to see if there's any flash intensity correlations. My guess is that the Wolf/Tula primers would yield a lower flash.

Feedback Score
    If Wolf "223" primers and SRM primers are "magnum" primers, then shouldn't they be putting out MORE flash than CCI #41s?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast