Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laminate stocks. Are they durable?

Feedback Score
    I got the Boyd's thumbhole laminate for my Rm700 .308 ADL SPS. Also got the Wyatt's Outdoor det mag bottom metal kit. It was a drop in, perfect fit. Barrel free floats and I haven't done the bedding yet. Here's close to finished.

uploadfromtaptalk1397098715270.jpg

Rootbrain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Laminate wood is actually pretty cool, and very strong and durable although it is heavy.

Composite materials like laminate (plywood) are along the same lines as fiberglass or carbon fiber. Composites combine two or more dissimilar materials in such a way that the properties of the composite are significantly different from the individual materials used, usually much better. The matrix material is typically thermoset polymer such as epoxy or another type of resin. The reinforcement material is wood. Sorry for the material science lesson.
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 05-02-14 at 16:59.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My Marlin 336xlr has the greenish laminate wood and it's held up great! Looks great too.

Feedback Score
    C-grunt,
    I spoke with the folks from Boyds during the NRA expo. I have a stainless Tikka T3 and want to get it in something heavier and nicer looking than the stock furniture. They said they now offer the T3 inlet for their stocks. As others have mentioned, laminate is stronger than wood, and as I can attest to, they are a bit heavier. As you can see from rootbrain's pic, they are handsome stocks. I have no experience with Boyds, but they were some of the most plesant and knowledgeable folks I spoke to out of the ~70 that I interacted with at the NRA expo. Also, you may want to consider the Tikka T3, I like mine, and the bolt is the smoothest out of any sub $1000 bolt guns I handled when making my purchase (certainly smoother than the 700s I handled).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12