Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Best shell for home defense

Feedback Score
    I prefer #4 birdshot. It should have a lethal range of say 20yards?

00 buck is very ideal for human targets. 00 shells have at least 9 projectiles. and if one projectile doesn't hit your target.... your neighbor 50yards away might get hit.

so for self defense. Id rather use #4 birdshot. less than ideal... anybody want to be shot with a #4 birdshot?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I run bird shot, as I hope it won't go thru walls. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. My shotgun is just a backup to my Glock anyways but better safe than sorry.
    On a side note, I have a rem 11-87 tact and had never had any feed problems, I have even shot clay pigeons with training loads and had no feed problems.

Feedback Score
    I never really understood how a shotgun can be used as a defensive weapon. when I was still new to guns everyone at the club told me that a house needs a shotgun. Now after 4 years of shooting... I still don't get it. the only time I will grab the shotgun is when there's an intruder "outside" the house but inside the fence. I have a benelli m3 18.5 barrel. It's very hard to move around doors with it. no matter how I try.

Inside the house Im better of with my SBR. A colt commando remake 11.5in barrel. or my fancied up Norinco 1911 which I have been shooting ipsc with. 100% reliable.

Here in my country, walls are made of cement. 3 inch machine hollow blocks filled with cement. with at least 1 inch of plastered cement. no way is #4 bird shot comming through. It's just the neighbors that im worried about since if there's an intruder i'll probably be shooting away from the house.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceriley View Post
    I never really understood how a shotgun can be used as a defensive weapon. when I was still new to guns everyone at the club told me that a house needs a shotgun. Now after 4 years of shooting... I still don't get it. the only time I will grab the shotgun is when there's an intruder "outside" the house but inside the fence. I have a benelli m3 18.5 barrel. It's very hard to move around doors with it. no matter how I try.

Inside the house Im better of with my SBR. A colt commando remake 11.5in barrel. or my fancied up Norinco 1911 which I have been shooting ipsc with. 100% reliable.

Here in my country, walls are made of cement. 3 inch machine hollow blocks filled with cement. with at least 1 inch of plastered cement. no way is #4 bird shot comming through. It's just the neighbors that im worried about since if there's an intruder i'll probably be shooting away from the house.
    racking the pump at night can be very dissuasive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceriley View Post

I'm sorry, but you are just sort of wrong... There is nothing more lethal in close quarters than a short barrel 12gauge loaded with the right shells..

Hand guns are a good back up to the shotgun, but rifles? I have every interest in killing an intruder and none at all in killing my neighbor across the street..

-Peter
    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical". - Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    oh no... you got me wrong. I am not questioning the lethality of a shotgun. in fact I find it very lethal.

what I meant was how to maneuver inside the house. I find it difficult. compared to maneuvering with an SBR or a pistol.

doesn't mean It's not possible. Just lack the ability to do it.

Unlike some. I don't have arguments with bullet lethality may it be 45, 9mm, 5.56mm, shotshell... I believe more in shot placement. with all those calibers.... nobody wants to be shot square in the chest.

Feedback Score
    yup...my Mossberg Tactical Cruiser is my bedside buddy, loaded up with Federal LE Tactical 00 buckshot. nobody's getting away from that thing. If they run, my Dragunov should be able to pick 'em off down the street.

Oh, and I don't find it too long at all to move around with. It's shorter than my M4. Now...if it had a stock on it (let alone, full size!), that'd be another thing. I could see that being more difficult.

Feedback Score
    ah... i got a full stock and 18.5 barrel.

Feedback Score
    00 or 000

Unless you are shooting birds dont use birdshot!

Feedback Score
    I know I should use #4 buckshot or 000 buckshot. but it doesn't exist in this part of the world.

but anyweiz... why don't you condone using #4 birdshot?

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast