Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Best shell for home defense

Feedback Score
    I fixed the SBR problem with a Short Barreled Shotgun, a factory Rem 870 with a 14" barrel. It costs a $200.00 tax stamp like an SBR and is the same length.
    I have 6 rounds of #4 birdshot in the tube and 4 rounds of 00 buck in the Speedfeed stock, Ghost ring sights with a + 1 extension.
    If I ever need it (and I pray to God I never do) all I'll be doing the next day is spackling some interior drywall.

Match223
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke - 1729 -1797

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use Federal 2 3/4" Tactical Low-recoil 00 Buck.

My 870 is not my homedefense weapon though. 1st is my 1911 or G17, if I can get to it prefered weapon is my 10.5" SBR with 55gr XM193, highest mag capacity, most accruate, easiest to deploy with light, good terminal ballistics, and least chance of overpenetration. The 870 comes somewhere after those.

While I like the 8 or 9 .38 caliber pellets arriving simultaneously, my 870 is setup as an in-field hunting weapon, not a home defense weapon. The 2 3/4" low recoil should have sufficient energy, and penetration to do the job though. But the 870 is not equipped with a light, and is not nearly as easily manuvered. While it patterns well at in home distances, the chances of over penetration or errant shot is highest. I prefer the handling, shot placement, and light compatability of the other choices.

As for bird shot. Up close it's definately going to get someones attention. But I feel that penetration may not be entirely adequate, especially if the intruder is wearing heavy clothing. I'm not volunteering to stand in front of it or anything, I would just prefer ammunition designed to terminate a crack-head, not Tweety Bird. YMMV.

Just my opinion.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    For 12 ga. use #1 Buckshot or larger. 00 Buckshot is the standard because it is the most common and is readily available in a variety of loadings.

5.56 mm M193 is NOT a good defense load, especially out of a 10.5" barrel; you would be far better off with a heavy OTM loading like 75/77 gr OTM or a barrier blind load like 55/62 gr Fed Tac or 60 gr Nosler Partition.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceriley View Post
    I know I should use #4 buckshot or 000 buckshot. but it doesn't exist in this part of the world.

but anyweiz... why don't you condone using #4 birdshot?
    There are lots of sources online for 00 and 000, especially the 'tactical' loads, thats where I get mine

#4 shot may be the ONLY one you could use that might work, that being said Ill stick w/ buck

Feedback Score
    5.56 mm M193 is NOT a good defense load, especially out of a 10.5" barrel; you would be far better off with a heavy OTM loading like 75/77 gr OTM or a barrier blind load like 55/62 gr Fed Tac or 60 gr Nosler Partition.
    ---------------------------------------

at this length of barrel. the bullet is unstable due to lack of barrel length. you should see how the bullet yaws.

I have an 11.5 barrel. Hunted with a wild dog. perfect.

Feedback Score
    "at this length of barrel. the bullet is unstable due to lack of barrel length. you should see how the bullet yaws."
    If you are talking about 55 gr M193 out of a Colt Commando/Mk18 style 10.5" barrel, you are wrong--the bullet is properly stabilized, otherwise it would not remain accurate. If you are meaning to speak of bullet upset in tissue, again, you are incorrect with regard to M193 and its yaw cycle.

Feedback Score
    could you be more specific?

there is "less twist" in a bullet fired from a 1:12 11.5inch compared to 1:12 twist in a 20inch barrel.

less since your bullet just twisted almost 1 revolution compared to a 20 in barrel which twisted 1.66 times.

Feedback Score
    Bullets fired out of very short 1 7/8" twist J-frame barrels are stabilized and accurate; a 10" barrel is more than enough to stabilize the projectile. Whether the barrel is 2", 10", or 20", the twist RATE is identical and the bullet is flying through the air making the same number of rotations. Secondly, although irrelevant to the stabilization issue, Mk18's and Colt Commandos are generally in 1/7 twist these days.

Feedback Score
    i got 1:12

it's an m16a1 barrel. cutted down

Feedback Score
    Getting back on the subject at hand, whatever you choose, go to the range and shoot at some targets. See what pattern you get at various home distances.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast