Hello-

As the title says, my family is looking at moving to somewhere in the greater Seattle region, which for us could be anywhere from Enumclaw up to Bellingham, with our greatest focus at the moment on Snohomish County. Finding a job is not an issue (I have a portable business), nor is being within X miles of Seattle or any other particular city. We are basically lifelong Michigan residents and need a change. We also want someplace with a lot less winter and more outdoor and cultural opportunities than we have in the middle of farm country here. We have spent several weeks in the area over multiple trips and are heading that way later in March for serious scouting of places to live.

I have some specific questions:

1) What is the general situation in Washington state for gun owners? Is it one legislative week away from being a ban state, or is it safer than that? I understand that the state leans heavily Democratic, but has an independent and/or libertarian streak as well. I'm coming from a state that is on average Dem leaning, but also somewhat rural and conservative, where owning guns is generally accepted and not a legal hassle. (We have handgun registration, but otherwise are not too restricted, and our gun laws have dramatically improved in the last 10 years.) I would hate to move cross country and find myself facing bans on stuff I own.

2) We have horses and chickens and want at least a couple acres to keep them at home, with a preference for 10-20 acres. What specific areas would you recommend I look at or avoid, that should be either within the I-5 corridor or in the outer reaches of the Seattle area (Monroe, Sultan, Duvall, Snoqualmie, etc.)?

3) Assuming we get a couple acres in a rural area, is it commonly legal, and common, to have a private shooting range at home? This is something I have now and is legal and common here. Obviously your exact location and residential density factors in, but I would like to know if this is legal and common in more rural areas, or prohibited by all townships, or what.

4) How easy or difficult is it join and regularly use a shooting club in that area? I'm under the impression that King County, at least, has a shortage of ranges relative to users. I would like access to nice range facilities (at least 200 yards) even if I can shoot at home, and of course that's essential if I can't shoot at home. Is there a better ratio of ranges to users as you go north of King County?

I appreciate any other comments relating to this move.