Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulletproof Glass

Feedback Score

Bulletproof Glass

I am not real sure where to post this, but I had a question on this that came up at work. Is there a way to tell if glass is bulletproof or not? It looks similar to some that a friend of mine installed at his gas station after a couple of robberies and he says it isn't bulletproof. My supervisor says it is and I was just hoping to confirm. I guess I could call the company and ask? I would understand "bulletproof" to be ammo dependent. This is the markings on the glass:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm guessing you have already considered and rejected the most obvious answer?

Feedback Score
    Yes, that didn't go over very well. He was pretty insistent that it was, but I'm not an expert. I felt considering I would most likely be there in the event it would be needed, and not him I thought I would do some independent research.

Feedback Score
    We have glass in the shop I work in that says tempered safety glass too. It's definitely not bullet proof. One of the guys got too excited with an impact and let the bolt go flying and it hit the window. It went straight through. The pieces of glass it broke looked like shattered auto glass (little pea sized nuggets)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Feedback Score
    "Bulletproof Glass?" More like Bullet Resistant.

Anyways I'm not in the know on Bullet Resistant Glasses or about Glass itself but I'm assuming if so, then thickness plays an important part.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bulletproof Glass

It says safety glass because when tempered glass breaks it shatters and doesn't hurt anyone. How thick is it? "Bulletproof" is usually very thick and a lot of panes of glass connected by inter layers.

ETA: most old style windows in houses, etc are annealed or plate glass, that breaks in big shards and can fall and cut people really badly (I've seen it happen) tempered is just harder, which makes it break the way it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by loganp0916; 03-01-14 at 20:20.
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    I'm guessing its 3/4 to one inch thick.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgibson View Post
    I'm guessing its 3/4 to one inch thick.

Interesting. Looking at the picture again, it looks like its 1/4" or so. Either way, I doubt it is bulletproof. The manufacturer is required to put that information on the bug mostly so inspectors can see that the required glass is used.

“WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    That's what I would have thought. I'll try and get a measurement somehow tomorrow. I really shouldn't worry since we have a gun free work place.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bulletproof Glass

If you look down at an angle you can usually tell. And that looks like just a basic interior window frame. Which means max 1/4" usually

~ Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast