Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bulletproof Glass

Feedback Score
    I think you may be right. When I zoom in on the writing I think it says 1/4". There is a pretty big groove it sets in that has a gasket on each side and I was thinking of that when I was estimating the width. If it's only 1/4" it won't stop anything I wouldn't think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nope, nothing. Still pretty hard to break though:
    http://youtu.be/CpHPm4Kr4qU
    But if you hit it on the edge, it'll break easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Whether this is a real or otherwise, here's one:

CAUTION! ! ! EXPLICIT LANGUAGE FOR THOSE WITH VIRGIN EARS! ! !

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    all the glass at the gas stations in the bad parts of town are a minimum of 1 inch thick. so id say no
    "I must study politics and war so that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."
    -John Adams
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Albert Einstein
    “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    BR Glass will have several layers fused together by some sort of sheet between the layers of glass. Typically you will see 2 or 3 layers of nominal 1/4" glass (actually 6mm since glass is manuf. in metric)

A more common practice now is the use of policarbonite. It will usually be 1 or 1.25" thick and is more clear than BR glass because it does not have multiple layers. The frame also has to be UL tested for BR as the whole assembly has to work, not just one component. You can tell if you see the UL label on the frame or in the corner of the glass. Just like a UL approved light fixture or receptacle, it has to have the UL symbol along with the level of protection.

I've done several of these in banks in not so nice neighborhoods, typically we even did package receivers through the BR barrier all made out of 1" thick policarbonate.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This question might be a little off the wall, but it sounds like several of you have experience with commercial glass. I was sitting in a fast food restaurant a couple weeks ago with my infant daughter and was wondering how much force it would take to break one of those large, floor to ceiling windows in those places. I had the unpleasant thought of being trapped in a back corner of the restaurant in a fire, or worse case, an active shooter situation, and I was wondering if I could throw a chair through the window, or more likely break it by swinging a chair, if I had to make a quick exit.

Sorry for taking this off topic, but the question has been running through my head. Thanks!

Dave

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bulletproof Glass

Depends. If it's impact glass, extremely hard. If it's just regular single pane, not too bad. But hit it toward the edge, that makes it much easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by loganp0916; 04-18-14 at 21:08.
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    All the HMMWVs or MRAPs ive ever been in, the BR glass was always several panes thick, with plastic layers in between each layer/ on the outside and front. My understanding is that the multiple layers of glass with the plastic layers catches the bullets, deflects if hit at an angle or with smaller munitions just chips away at the glass. But if you shoot them enough times they will be destroyed.

So usually BR glass is pretty dang thick, and heavy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bullet-resistant, not Bullet-proof. Even MRAP's windows (which are multiple layers and at least 1.5 in thick, will only stand up so long to certain calibers...might deflect first or second rounds, but 3rd/4th not so likely (don't know the exact specs). What you see in commercial applications isn't nearly that strong, and it's only there to stop (maybe) the first round from handgun calibers. Most all of it is polycarbonate sheet (we sell it); and to stop a sizeable handgun round minimum thickness is an inch or more. That stuff is HUNDREDS of dollars a square foot, which is why you won't see it in commercial applications much (as it's EXPENSIVE). That stuff in most gas stations will only last maybe one round, and the idea is that it's JUST ENOUGH to give the guy behind it a chance to seek cover....
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12