Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General Purpose Combat Rifle Setup - Getting Set Up

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

General Purpose Combat Rifle Setup - Getting Set Up

If you're new and buying a general purpose carbine, of the M4 variety with a 16" barrel and want to be a somewhat serious shooter with decent gear - you don't have to spend a bundle on a $3k fancy rifle, $2k optic, and $1/bullet match grade ammo. But you do need to buy high quality stuff that won't shit out on you during training or real life.

Buy a basic AR from one of the following makers between $1000-1100, you don't need to spend more than this to have a 100% reliable general purpose carbine. Buying used is okay too if the gun is not beat to hell, because serviceable means serviceable, not looking for safe queens.

Colt Defense
    Bravo Company
    Daniel Defense
    Lewis Machine & Tool
    Smith & Wesson M&P

Stay away from the following brands because they suck. Parts are made of lesser quality materials (steel alloys, aluminum alloys), with little or no quality testing done (HPT/MPI), and assembled poorly (staking, torquing, loctiting) but marketed as "milspec" with no explanation or details.

Bushmaster
    Rock River
    DPMS Arms
    Olympic Arms
    Other unknown / backyard brands

Once you have a well made AR, buy an good optic. Red dot sights are the most popular choice, which makes sense because for real life shooting you're probably going to be close up (within 100 yards - but probably much closer than that). Aimpoint leads EOTech in the serious shooter market, but not by much, and both are good optics. Currently the Aimpoint PRO is probably the best value purchase at about $400 and comes with a mount, ready to shoot. Just put it on the gun and go to the range.

30rd PMAGS are plentiful, cheap, and the new industry standard in the past few years for their reliability and durability, as well as re-designed non-tilt follower. Otherwise, the aluminum mags that you should be looking for will say Colt or NHMTG on the bottom and if they don't, then don't bother with them. Remeber, PMAGS are easy to find & cheap so there's no reason to own crappy magazines.

Plan to buy alot of .223 / 5.56mm ammunition. 55gr M193 or 62gr M855 is going to be a fine training ammo but for real life use get either a modern barrier blind load such as Fed 62gr TBBC, or 75gr TAP if you're looking for reliable frag. Reliance on M193 or M855 for real life shooting is stupid and has lead to people's view of the 5.56mm caliber being ineffective at times. The caliber is not the problem, bullet design has been the problem, solved with modern tech.

So once you buy a good carbine, and a good optic, a few PMAGS, and a boatload of training ammo; you're ready to focus on learning how to run a carbine. Don't cheap out and the gear will last a long time, cheap out and when it breaks you're just going to have to buy these recommendations anyway. Then how much will you have spent?

Additionally, you should seek out some high speed training from people who know what they're doing, have experience in the industry doing the kind of shooting you want to do, and know how to explain it to others. Don't get trained by some fat slob at the local range when big time instructors come to your area once or twice a year.
    Last edited by Moltke; 03-06-14 at 17:29.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    As an EOTech fanboy, my go-to AR wears an Aimpoint so I can just leave it on. I still prefer EOTech, but advise people to buy only EXPS/XPS models. Also, for SD ammunition, Federal Fusion is said to be nearly identical to a well-regarded Speer round and can be found easily in stores like Walmart and Bass Pro.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Good post. #1 rule for firearms : You get what you pay for.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You can also add SIONICS Weapon Systems to your list of good AR's. We have several police agencies in the U.S using them as well as plenty of civilians.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Anytime both Iraqgunz and Kino Davis speak highly of a company it's worth paying attention to. SIONICS is one of these companies.

Also, anybody know where one can find 62gr TBBC? Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough but I haven't seen it anywhere. Been using Federal Fusion MSR 62gr myself. Thinking about trying some Hornady 75gr TAP in the future.

Levi
    "They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    delete
    Last edited by LoveAR; 04-24-14 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Don't forget to budget a solid two point sling from quality manufacturers like Blue Force Gear, VTAC, Magpul, and a few others. They truly come into their own when training, be it at your range or at a class, and in a home defense/SHTF situation. A weapon's light and mount definitely improves your efficiency when thing go "bump in the night". A search here in the forum on slings and lights will get you headed in the right direction.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    BCM 16in Midlength Complete rifle
    13in KMR, 12in CMR, 12in MI SS Gen2, 13in SMR would be my choices of 3 rails with the KMR winning out big time as I've had all 4.
    Nightforce NXS 1-4 FC3G
    Battle Comp or BCM comp
    Geissele SSA trigger

I might be a little bias as thats my setup, except I'm running a 14.5in Midlength BCM instead of 16. Its light, fast, accurate and lets me get hits with 55's and 75's out to 400 with the reticle in the Nightforce.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The OP has some great advice. For a first AR, it would be hard to beat a Sionics Patrol Rifle Zero. For just over a grand, it's got everything you need and nothing you don't. This is what I'm recommending to those new to ARs. That carbine, a good sling, good mags and ammo are all you need to get started.

Don't be afraid to take your first carbine class with open sights. I did, and though I was the only one not running a red dot, I felt good getting trigger time behind the irons in case such a need would arise. When you're ready for a red dot, you can find a lightly used Aimpoint PRO for around $300-350 without too much problem.

Start with quality, basic equipment and take it slow. You can add a free float rail and other accessories later as you learn more about what you want and how you use your carbine. There are a lot of fashion accessories for ARs nowadays and people drive themselves crazy trying to figure out the best rail or muzzle device or light mount or whatever, but training will always be more important than all that stuff. You are the weapon, the gun is just a tool.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks, glad you like the post. I tried not to fill it with BS or marketing and going to use it to link new shooters to.

A well made carbine out of the box with good mags & ammo will get most civilians more of a rifle than they know what to do with. Add an RDS, light, sling, and PROPER TRAINING - and it's hard to go wrong.

Some might be surprised what they can get out of a basic carbine but I see it all the time in shooting competitions when someone with a basic M4 & red dot stomps someone with a $4k setup.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast