Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Vision Set-Up

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Night Vision Set-Up

I have a fair amount of experience in using issued night vision and thermal optics and have decided that I want to invest in my own personal set-up. Currently thermal is out of my price range really but I figure a decent night vision set-up would be a good starting point. I am hoping to get some opinions on the choices in equipment that I have researched so far. Let me know if anything is sub-par and if there are better options out there that is comparable in price.

Ops-Core FAST bump helmet
    VAS Shroud
    Wilcox lanyard
    Rino swing arm mount
    TNV's PVS-14 ITT Gen 3 Pinnacle.
    LDI LAS/TAC 2 pistol IR laser. Reason for this is it is cheaper than the DBALs and PEQs but more importantly to me, mounted at the 12 oclock it puts the laser in line with the bore.

While I could save money by using my issued ACH, its heavy and cumbersome, plus I really don't see the need for ballistic protection and I eventually am going to have to turn it back in.

I'm thinking by getting two of the IR lasers, I can equip both the carbine and AR pistol for night time use, plus the pistol is rocking an Inforce AWL and the carbine has a 6P that I can swap the LED engine back to the P90 bulb (or a more powerful one) and use my IR filter.

Obviously its a pretty big investment, purchases can be made over time to spread it out. Plus TNVC isn't far from me so I can always stop by the store and pick the stuff up from them directly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Sounds like some quality stuff. The only things I would question or possibly do differently; have you thought about going with an ops core fast bump or team wendy ltp rather than the carbon model and the vas shroud? Could save a few bucks there. Also I would not want to use the LDI las tac on a carbine personally. I have one and while it works well on a pistol it does feel kind of cheap IMO and I think there are better laser solutions for rifles.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    TNVC advised me that they have seen some QC issues with the ITT tubes, and the L3 OMNI VIII tubes were the way to go. The Team Wendy EXFIL LTP Helmet was recommended over the Ops Core. The have their IRSale going on right now, and you may want to be watching that from now until it's over.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    So are they not selling the ITT tubes in the TNVC built pvs 14s?

Reason I ask is I have been looking into buying one. I think NODS are still the way to go vs FLIR, at least for now. Someone should do a FLIR vs NODS comparison.
    Last edited by rushca01; 03-09-14 at 15:33.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Per an email that I exchanged with them:

As for the PVS-14, I would highly suggest the TNV/PVS-14 with the L3 tube. These are the best tubes available and will allow the unit to stand up to 6.8/300 Blackout. ITT has been having some QC issues lately, and we are not seeing the same consistent tube quality that we used to. The L3 model is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thank you for the replies gentlemen, the reason I was thinking of the carbon fiber helmet opposed to the other one was I'm not sure how durable the molded in shroud is compared to the vas shroud. On to the IR laser, are there any other ones that are inline with the bore?

One reason I'm not too worried about the ability of the tube in the nods to handle recoil is that legally I can't mount a night vision device on a rifle as well a IR illuminator. Stupid antiquated law.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have been using the same ops core bump for two years now and have not had any durability issues so far. That being said I can see it being a valid concern. The team wendy has a metal insert moulded in to address that.

As for lasers there is the ITAL which places the beam inline with the bore. I don't have any first hand experience with this model so I can't comment on it but if you have a front sight the laser can't be mounted on the top rail. I have several lasers and non of them are inline. I prefer a parallel zero and have never had an issue with the lasers being offset, it really does not make too much of a difference windage wise.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The TW LTP is far more comfortable than the OpsCore in my opinion. I would definitely suggest getting the cheaper helmet (LTP or Base Jump over the FAST) and use that money on a Norotos or Wilcox Mount.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    I just picked up a crimson trace railmaster ir to run at 12 o'clock in front of my dd fixed front sight. Laser max also makes a micro ir about the same size (not the same as the uni ir). While I'm sure either is not peq, Dbal rugged, I'm sure their robust enough. I also wanted my laser in line with the bore. I also wanted something lightweight. The Opscore basejump is really comfortable. I too was worried about the robustness of the molded in mount. I really don't foresee there ever being an issue.

Optics planet has these on sale through dvor for $165

http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...r/ar15/01-9696

Optics planet also has this in ir on their website.

https://www.lasermax.com/ProductDeta...0/Default.aspx

Last edited by Caeser25; 03-15-14 at 07:34.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Time for an update, I drove out to TNVC yesterday, just finding them was an ordeal, super discreet and hidden. Once I got there Teddy was super helpful in assisting me in picking out items. I went with the Team Wendy EXFIL bump helmet, their Peltor adapters, Wilcox L4 G11 mount, and TNVC's bump helmet Wilcox lanyard. I decided to go for broke and just do everything at once to save time and money, I also ordered their Pinnacle PVS-14 (its going to be helmet mounted so there is no recoil concerns for the tube) and took advantage of their current sale and ordered a DBAL as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast