Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tavor, a true successor to the ar15?

Feedback Score

Tavor, a true successor to the ar15?

I bought a tavor last month, in the process sold my ar15. I feel that its truely a step up in the evolution of firearms.From everything to maintenance and durability, to ergonomics and shootability What are your thoughts? What would you choose over the other and why?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Availability/part sourcing, modularity, price, commonality, etc...need I say more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not quite. Tavor is a quality and cool gun to boot.....but I wouldn't be selling an ars.....why would you sell them?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Endur View Post
    Availability/part sourcing, modularity, price, commonality, etc...need I say more.

I will readily admit I was looking very hard at the Tavor for an alternative to the AR as my primary carbine. I loved its southpaw friendliness and the non-NFA, yet small package.

However, after lots of introspection on my needs, reading, and firing various guns, I agree with Endur on a couple points here. The first that really concerns me about the Tavor is factory parts being available for basic repairs. The factor won't even sell you a bolt to do a left handed conversion. The entire rifle has to be sent back to the factory because they want to check the headspace. That leads me to believe IWI here in the US will be very hesitant for repairs to occur outside the factory if they don't trust end users to check headspace on a bolt swap.

Also, I believe a modern carbine should accommodate suppression readily. I have seen too many reports of over gassed Tavors to view it as a viable suppressor host at the current time. A switchable or tune able gas block would fix this issue.

All that to say, do I think the Tavor is an AR platform killer? Absolutely not for the military and your basic civilian user. Maybe it can be for civilians with more refinement. I don't think it would ever be an M4 replacement for the military given how much the military has tied up in the system supporting the M4.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by slowwilson View Post
    I bought a tavor last month, in the process sold my ar15. I feel that its truely a step up in the evolution of firearms.From everything to maintenance and durability, to ergonomics and shootability What are your thoughts? What would you choose over the other and why?

I'm glad you like your Tavor, but that's just crazy talk.

Regardless of what the "new hotness" is this year or next year, a bullpup design will never be the dominant platform... there are just too many ergonomic issues with them.

If ARX-160s are around next year, and a new civvie friendly HK drops a G36 the year after that, and the price of SCAR-16s comes down to reason, and the alloy lower ACR comes out, the AR will still be the dominant platform.

Quote Originally Posted by ag08
    That leads me to believe IWI here in the US will be very hesitant for repairs to occur outside the factory if they don't trust end users to check headspace on a bolt swap.

A switchable or tune able gas block would fix this issue.
    They're smart.

They want their platform to be reliable, especially now while it's still new- out of spec parts and operator error need to be mitigated at all costs.

(this is also the reason they overgassed- they know Joe Dirt is going to run crap, low pressure Russian ammo through it and they don't want bad range reports right out the gate)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by slowwilson View Post
    I have used other bullpups, but not the Tavor. The absolute, only reason why I would choose any bullpup over a nice M4 variant is if I needed a rifle to be ultra compact, and I didn't want to have a NFA item. Otherwise, the ergonomic advantages of a good M4 are hard to beat. Considering how short a M4 with a midlength 14.5" pinned barrel is, I don't have any likely scenarios where I need something shorter.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Umm no . . .

If one was to look at what our SOF community and allies use in 5.56 you will see AR platforms by Colt, Colt Canada, HK, KAC, and LMT.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    I have seen the vids on the Tavor and it wows me more than the Aug" not to knock the Aug along with some really nice features! "and especially its owners" But what I like about the AR is the parts availability and the price of the highest quality parts. For less than a few hundred dollars you can have all the wear parts to keep the AR running excluding a major kaboom. PS the AR is fairly simple to work on.
    Last edited by SteveS; 03-08-14 at 19:56.

Feedback Score
    Wait till one goes Kaboom and rips the face off some poor shmoe.
    There are only 2 things we should fight for. One is defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights.

Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by weggy View Post
    Wait till one goes Kaboom and rips the face off some poor shmoe.
    I am looking forward to seeing long term reports of the Tavor, and see how they turn out.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast