Thread: Larue fixed rear sight problem

Feedback Score

Larue fixed rear sight problem

I did a lot of searches on this but couldn't find anything yet. I recently acquired a larue fixed rear sight. I want to install a csat aperture in it. I have the csat in my Troy flip up and DD sight and I love the csat for duty use. The problem I have is I cant get the set screw out of the larue to change the aperture. I heated the set screw as I have learned on this fourm that larue uses red loctite on the set screw. I must not have heated it enough and I striped out the set screw and it wont move. I tried to contact larue but have not been able to get onto their web site. Any ideas on how to fix this? Any advise would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    How did you heat it?

I would think the tip of a soldering iron pressed directly against the screw would be enough.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=bb223;1871074]How did you heat it?

Iuld think the tip of a soldeiron pressed directly against the screw would be enough.[/QUOte

I'm sure you're correct on that. In the forum I referred to the writer said he contacted Larue and was told to use either a soldeiron on the screw head or use a torch. I used a torch to heat the screw and the area around it. I dont have a solderion. I have no one to blame but myself for stripping out the set screw head as I probably got into too much of a hurry. The set screw on my sight is recessed into the sight body fairly deep. These Larue sights are extremely well built.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Oh wow, I completely missed the part about you stripping it out.

My apologies.

Try contacting:

alfred@laruetactical.com

He's always helped me out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bb223 View Post
    Oh wow, I completely missed the part about you stripping it out.

My apologies.

Try contacting:

alfred@laruetactical.com

He's always helped me out.
    I contacted Larue and told them that I striped out the set screw. I was asked to send them the sight and the new sight aperture I was trying to install. I got it back in less than a week, fixed and with the new aperature installed. I am extremely happy with Larue's customer service.