Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schuemann 1911 barrels.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a para ramped AET barrel in a 45 hicap Caspian build I put together a while ago. Very accurate. The only issue is I can't get it to reliably feed plated SWC. I just like nice round holes. No FTF with ball. The only thing I can think of is the flutes in the chamber slow it down just enough to hang up on occasion. And yes, I tuned the extractor.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I went with a Kart P/C ramped in my 9mm Govt. If you go SS, my nod would go to Barstow. You need to spec whos slide the barrel is going into when ordering from bsto. I do not know if they have different radial cuts for the specific manufactures tolerances or what but hopefully there lead times are better than they were before. I think my last barrel was 9 months but i got caught up in their eastern migration. Wilsons' are lean and can sometimes come up a little thin on extra material for fitting based on the tolerance stack on the host slide. If you were going to go W i'd recommend Brownells for their great return policy (prior to fitting of course) but it still leaves a potentially long substitute wait and Bs doesn't stock a Wilson 9mm barrel.

Barstow presently has a 10-12 week +/- lead time from date of order.

Recoomendations from the school of hard knocks: I fit and used a Wilson extended tactical mag catch. I don't specifically know if it has a higher hold ledge but the EGW magazine catch is supposed to hold the mag higher (over a standard) in the gun to assist with feeding, a AFTEC extractor and Megar 'Springfield' style 9 rd mags. Have an assortment of recoil springs available during initial run in. Mine would barely operate with an 11 then moved to a 13 and presently a 14 with a standard radius fp stop. Thinking of moving to a square bottom fp stop to tame slide velocity now at 3.5k. Probably need to change out recoil spring first though, can't remember the rd count but I think I'm about 2 - 2.5k on this one. Wilson ETM (9mm) were originally recommended but I had feeding issues (nose dives) with anything over 7 rounds which improved with break in. They run fine now but with the higher mag catch I think it would have been less painful. I was getting ready to change the P/C feed ramp geometry before a friend and internet post prodded me to the Springfield mags. Do final ejector shaping post mag selection. Wilson's have a spacer in the back of the mag. If you cut the ejector for non back spaced mags then convert to backspaced mags you have to be observant when manipulating the slide. At speed, no problems but slowly hand operating the slide prior to ejection, the magazine spring force can be enough to push the round on the breech face further up clearing the ejector window and end up with two rounds on the breech face. Simple fix is to fit another, longer ejector which would work with either mag, I'm just runnin @ 90 mph and to lazy to sit down and fix. As long as I'm concious of it I have no problems.

ETA: I also have a 9mm reamer if needed.
    Last edited by Ttwwaack; 03-15-14 at 18:28.

Feedback Score
    More importantly, who's going to fit the barrel for you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
    More importantly, who's going to fit the barrel for you?
    Myself.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttwwaack View Post
    I went with a Kart P/C ramped in my 9mm Govt. If you go SS, my nod would go to Barstow. You need to spec whos slide the barrel is going into when ordering from bsto. I do not know if they have different radial cuts for the specific manufactures tolerances or what but hopefully there lead times are better than they were before. I think my last barrel was 9 months but i got caught up in their eastern migration. Wilsons' are lean and can sometimes come up a little thin on extra material for fitting based on the tolerance stack on the host slide. If you were going to go W i'd recommend Brownells for their great return policy (prior to fitting of course) but it still leaves a potentially long substitute wait and Bs doesn't stock a Wilson 9mm barrel.

Barstow presently has a 10-12 week +/- lead time from date of order.

Recoomendations from the school of hard knocks: I fit and used a Wilson extended tactical mag catch. I don't specifically know if it has a higher hold ledge but the EGW magazine catch is supposed to hold the mag higher (over a standard) in the gun to assist with feeding, a AFTEC extractor and Megar 'Springfield' style 9 rd mags. Have an assortment of recoil springs available during initial run in. Mine would barely operate with an 11 then moved to a 13 and presently a 14 with a standard radius fp stop. Thinking of moving to a square bottom fp stop to tame slide velocity now at 3.5k. Probably need to change out recoil spring first though, can't remember the rd count but I think I'm about 2 - 2.5k on this one. Wilson ETM (9mm) were originally recommended but I had feeding issues (nose dives) with anything over 7 rounds which improved with break in. They run fine now but with the higher mag catch I think it would have been less painful. I was getting ready to change the P/C feed ramp geometry before a friend and internet post prodded me to the Springfield mags. Do final ejector shaping post mag selection. Wilson's have a spacer in the back of the mag. If you cut the ejector for non back spaced mags then convert to backspaced mags you have to be observant when manipulating the slide. At speed, no problems but slowly hand operating the slide prior to ejection, the magazine spring force can be enough to push the round on the breech face further up clearing the ejector window and end up with two rounds on the breech face. Simple fix is to fit another, longer ejector which would work with either mag, I'm just runnin @ 90 mph and to lazy to sit down and fix. As long as I'm concious of it I have no problems.

ETA: I also have a 9mm reamer if needed.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm still doing research for a possible venture for a 9x19mm 1911, but as of right now I will be devoting my funds to replacing my Glocks with CZ pistols, I've decided.

When I do a 9mm 1911, it'll be a commander, I will end likely run a 16# recoil spring, flat bottomed FPS, and 18# mainspring, with EGW high cut magazine button, and KART barrel. I figure that should run fine. Wilson ETM 9x19mm 9 round magazines, with relieved extended ejector. Just in case I decide on 10 rounders.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    On my 9mm 1911 I went the el-cheapo route: I picked up a 9mm Springfield range officer. Fun gun, but the extractor wasn't even close. I basically was getting every other round in the glasses. I did the extractor test and it wouldn't hold the case at all. Heck, I am surprised it extracted at all. On the other hand, it is very accurate and a blast to shoot. Now I need to put a mag-well on it.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    On my 9mm 1911 I went the el-cheapo route: I picked up a 9mm Springfield range officer. Fun gun, but the extractor wasn't even close. I basically was getting every other round in the glasses. I did the extractor test and it wouldn't hold the case at all. Heck, I am surprised it extracted at all. On the other hand, it is very accurate and a blast to shoot. Now I need to put a mag-well on it.
    How is the ejector? Extended or GI? And is it relieved?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Greg, you coulda done alot worse than that (Springfield RO). You got a solid base w/adjustable sights and good warrenty/customer service. Shoot that thing like you stole it and don't look back.

are they putting stnd or ramped barrels in the RO?

Feedback Score
    The RO 9mm has a stainless ramped barrel, rather nicely fitted.
    The ejector is extended and non-pinned.
    Cheap-Fast-Good
    Pick any two.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have been trying to get a AET barrel in .45 for almost a year. Took me 5 months of emails and calls to just get a reply from schuemann

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12