Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Optimizing Vitamin D Status in Soldiers to Enhance Physical and Cognitive Performance

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Optimizing Vitamin D Status in Soldiers to Enhance Physical and Cognitive Performance

Hot off the presses and more support that optimal D levels have wide ranging impact and the Mil is showing some interest there:

Clinical Relevance of Optimizing Vitamin D Status in Soldiers to Enhance Physical and Cognitive Performance

Wentz LM, Eldred JD, Henry MD, Berry-Caban CS. J Spec Oper Med 2014;14(1):58-66.

Vitamin D deficiency initiates a loss of combat effectiveness by impairing physical and cognitive functioning of combat Operators. Synthesized in response to sunlight and consumed in the diet, vitamin D functions as a hormone and regulates gene expression for nearly 300 genes throughout the human body. These target genes are involved processes essential to combat operations, such as immune function, response to stress, inflammation, and regulation of calcium movement.

Since widespread vitamin D deficiency is observed across the U.S. population, poor vitamin D status is expected in Service members. Physical conditions linked to vitamin D deficiency include increased risk for muscle or bone injury, muscle weakness, and reduced neuromuscular function.

Hormonally, vitamin D levels have been positively correlated with testosterone levels. Vitamin D deficiency is also associated with cognitive decline, depression, and may prolong recovery following mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI). Since vitamin D deficiency elevates systemic inflammation, poor vitamin D status at the time of brain injury may prolong the inflammatory response and exacerbate postconcussive symptoms.

Furthermore, veterans with mTBI experience chronic endocrine dysfunction. While vitamin D status has not been assessed post-mTBI, it is plausible that vitamin D levels are altered along with testosterone and growth hormone, raising the question of whether vitamin D deficiency results from trauma-related hormonal abnormalities or whether vitamin D deficiency increases the risk for endocrine dysfunction.

Through its association with testosterone production, vitamin D deficiency may increase the risk for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) since testosterone levels are altered in veterans with PTSD.

Therefore, vitamin D status has a significant impact on Operator health and performance. Supplementing vitamin D to deficient Operators provides a noninvasive and low-cost intervention to maintain combat force.

INFO: If looking for more info on D, dosing, etc see:

Vitamin D – what’s the optimal level and how to achieve it?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    What do you think about the natural test boosters containing vitamin d, tribulus, zinc etc such as cellucor P6 and the like?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcrawf1 View Post
    What do you think about the natural test boosters containing vitamin d, tribulus, zinc etc such as cellucor P6 and the like?
    My general opinion/assessment of the "T Booster" segment of the supplement market have be found below if interested:

Testosterone Boosting Supplements – The Facts

I don't have any faith in them as a rule.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    My general opinion/assessment of the "T Booster" segment of the supplement market have be found below if interested:

Testosterone Boosting Supplements – The Facts

I don't have any faith in them as a rule.
    Gotcha. You do see benefit in supplementing vitamin D as a rule or only in cases of known low T (after bloodwork etc)?

Feedback Score
    I am convinced low vitamin D levels are the explanation for the almost epidemic proportions of Diabetes and other modern ailments.

100 years ago, people spent more time outside. The modern American stays indoors way more.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcrawf1 View Post
    Gotcha. You do see benefit in supplementing vitamin D as a rule or only in cases of known low T (after bloodwork etc)?
    See linked article below study. Getting D levels checked and optimizing is clearly supported by the data in my opinion and unrelated to low T levels per se.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My vitamin D level has always been low also along with T. I supplement.
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Some other Vite D studies specific to mil populations of interest:

Low Vitamin D Status and Suicide: A Case-Control Study of Active Duty Military Service Members

I consider myself "proof" that low vitamin D levels contribute to depression. Before I started supplementing I could not get through the winter without extreme bouts of depression. Since I started supplementing I have not experienced the phenomenon AT ALL. (And I STILL say herbal supplements like Tribulus DO have a small effect on boosting testosterone )

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I too started taking Vitamin D to treat Seasonal Affective disorder several years ago and it has worked like a champ!
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast